Convention

I have never been to a convention before and im going this weekend to get a new chameleon and i was wondering if they sell feeders there too.

I have never been to a convention before and im going this weekend to get a new chameleon and i was wondering if they sell feeders there too.
I've never been to one, but I've been told by my friends they do and lots of different supplies as well. 😊😊 which one are you going to??

Absolutely, and IME for less than online prices, so stock up on those that will keep.

If it's a decently sized con (100+ vendors), you'll generally find any kind of supplies you can imagine (and some you may not have), but they're not always a deal, so do your online pricing ahead of time.

EDIT: Also, I generally do 2 circuits. The first one to locate items I'm looking for and prices; the second (sorter circuit) to make the purchases. Don't jump at the first "deal" you see—you may find a better one further along.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I've never been to a reptile convention but it sounds incredibly fun. I plan on going to one in Houston in May.

Do you know which species you're looking to get at the convention?

Uk equivalent usually at Doncaster race course few times a year has had to keep cancelling due to covvid😕
Im hoping to get some nice bits of cork to cover some plant pots and freshen up my twigs with grapevines hope these things survive after the virus🤞🙏

I am so jealous I have been waiting to go to another convenient since 2019 luckily there is one near me in lodi CA next month so excited. Good luck at your con :)

They will most likely have feeders there. The one I go to every year has like 3-4 stands just full of feeders, I think it’s a good chance they’ll have them

Cork rounds are a good example of price variance. First show we went to, many vendors had cork rounds priced "as labeled". Around halfway through the show, we started seeing cork rounds priced by weight, ranging from $15/lb. down to $8/lb. The $8 rounds were a little... iffy, so we bought one of the $9/lb. rounds (around 3 lbs. worth). The guy was very nice, and even cut a few dollars off the calculated price. Continuing through the show we noticed similarly sized & quality rounds priced "as labeled" for up to $100.

We also got to meet & vet (chat with) several reptile breeders, feeder & supply vendors.

No question there are both good & bad points to reptile shows—just as there are with shows for other hobbies. Regardless, I think they're a good learning experience, and can be fun if not taken too seriously (try not to get bummed out on the negatives).

Go early or go late? There are differing opinions on this; going early you may have a better selection before some things are sold or picked over, while going late, vendors may (depending on how business is going) be more willing to reduce prices or dicker. Personally, I prefer to go early (but not right at opening—I can't wait in lines), and then go out for lunch afterward (even if it's still take-out).

YMMV

Cork rounds are a good example of price variance. First show we went to, many vendors had cork rounds priced "as labeled". Around halfway through the show, we started seeing cork rounds priced by weight, ranging from $15/lb. down to $8/lb. The $8 rounds were a little... iffy, so we bought one of the $9/lb. rounds (around 3 lbs. worth). The guy was very nice, and even cut a few dollars off the calculated price. Continuing through the show we noticed similarly sized & quality rounds priced "as labeled" for up to $100.

We also got to meet & vet (chat with) several reptile breeders, feeder & supply vendors.

No question there are both good & bad points to reptile shows—just as there are with shows for other hobbies. Regardless, I think they're a good learning experience, and can be fun if not taken too seriously (try not to get bummed out on the negatives).

Go early or go late? There are differing opinions on this; going early you may have a better selection before some things are sold or picked over, while going late, vendors may (depending on how business is going) be more willing to reduce prices or dicker. Personally, I prefer to go early (but not right at opening—I can't wait in lines), and then go out for lunch afterward (even if it's still take-out).

YMMV
Its good to visualise things in the physical rather than order stuff online all the time🙂

Back
Top Bottom