Contradictive colors?

FaunaBgirl

This morning, Fractal was the most beautiful I've seen him ever. He had a quick shed and he was golden, turquoise and lovely greens. Knocked me out. Later on, he was on the black floor (for lack of getting a white one for the new cage yet) and he was black. I never saw him like that before. He saw me see him and made for the top. He got up there and then was his usual dark "ticked that I was looking at him" color. Now he's lighter and basking. Have I discovered it's bad to have a black floor, or is that a normal trait that they can get that black? Today is his 6 month birthday. He loves his new cage and all is well otherwise, considering the events of the past month. (antibiotics and the escape/dehydration, etc)

Black is not unusual, but can indicate a temperature issue or enviromental stressors that need to be addressed if it persists.

The black colouration suggests either cold or stress. I'm sure the bottom of the cage is the coldest part of the habitat or your cham could be stressed from having fallen to the ground.

Many chameleons will react to black clothing and cameras....but not usually by turning black. They usually act as though an aggressor is approaching.

Some chameleons react to red in a negative way too (veileds in particular)....and even some patterns can result in a negative reaction from them.

When mine gets on the floor he turns to a million shades of brown, some black and retains this purple stripe that runs up his casque. Unless you just want to change the bottom color I do not know if I would worry about it. I guess finding the poop would be easier with the white on the bottom.

Many chameleons will react to black clothing and cameras....but not usually by turning black. They usually act as though an aggressor is approaching.

Some chameleons react to red in a negative way too (veileds in particular)....and even some patterns can result in a negative reaction from them.

I've actually observed this happening with my Veiled. On separate occasions I've left a black bag of golf clubs, and once large camera and tripod next to the cage, and on both occasions the cham reacted quite badly: he would remain on the far side of the cage from the object, and claw at the mesh as if trying to get out. It wasn't an immediate reaction, just a behavioural change that occured over a couple of days. I never realised what was going on at first, until I moved the offending items away and his behaviour returned to normal. I became convinced that he thought the big black objects were lurking predators.

And I also started to notice how he reacted more fearfully towards me when I was wearing bright red or yellow shirts (which I often do because my favourite domestic rugby and cricket teams wear red and yellow respectively). So now I try to wear neutral browns or greens when I am going to be handling him or cleaning his cage (so I have to wear the national rugby strip on those days - predominantly green :)). It doesn't make him enjoy the handling/cage intrusion, but at least he doesn't start running away before I've even gotten near him...

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with the stress issue mentioned. Fractal seems to stress out very easily and has always been a dramatic personality. He even hate if I put on glasses and runs. lol I try not to look at him too long. He acts like my eye prints are heavy on him. He darkens. His new trick is the edges above his eyes and up the edge of the casque get black. It's his "go away" sign. I leave and the black goes away. He just does NOT want to be bothered. Sheesh!
The other thing that came to mind is that if he goes down to the bottom after the misting and the bottom is wet, he could get cold, I suppose?

The edges of his casque will get black at some point and stay that way for the rest of his life.

There is likely a second reaction to black cameras (and the same reaction to glasses)....they can see their reflections in the lens.

There is likely a second reaction to black cameras (and the same reaction to glasses)....they can see their reflections in the lens.

OMG.... I never thought of HIS reflection on my glasses lens. lol Too funny. Hey.. wait a minute... does that mean Fractal's a scaredy cham? lol

Back
Top Bottom