Constructive criticism / Advice wanted on how to improve my setup please

This wrong, you should only use multivitamins one day every two weeks. You should use Calcium with d3 every two weeks also. The reason your cham looks a bit obese is due to the d3 overdose. You need to dust every day with calcium without d3, and d3 every two weeks.
Should I dust (in general) every feeding? I've read that some people do or suggest only dusting only 1 or 2 feedings a week. I will definitely change that up.

That's great - thanks for filling out the form! I'm not an expert but I will offer some feedback and others can correct me if I am off.

First off, it looks like a nice size cage! The fact you have nice, high branches is a great feature!

Regarding supplements, it seems more correct to dust feeders with calcium without D3 almost every day, a multivitamin only once every two weeks and calcium with D3 once every two weeks.

I hand mist, so others probably have better advice regarding automated misters, but from what I have read here, a couple of mistings a day (one in the morning before lights go on, one at night just after lights off or close to) rather than 3 would be sufficient, as it's good that your enclosure dries out between mistings. Also, your home's humidity is already 60% or so, so you are already starting with a fairly high humidity and that needs to be taken into consideration. It sounds like it might be good to measure with a hydrometer and see where humidity is.

What I do feel more confident giving feedback on, if you are looking for ways to make your chameleon more comfortable is the cage setup in terms of branches and plants. A great resource is the Chameleon Academy: https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/ In a nutshell, I think you want to make sure you mostly have branches that he can easily wrap his feet around (not too large) or otherwise he will feel uncomfortable walking around. Your branches look pretty thick. In the Chameleon Academy link it talk about the different kinds of branches - structural, basking, security, feeding/drinking, and lots of network branches. A nice basking branch 9 inches distance from his UVB light is the norm, as I understand and make sure your temps are decent on the basking branch e.g. around 85 (some people may recommend slightly higher or lower) ?

Also, you want to plan to have all live plants in your enclosure, as chams are at risk for ingesting plastic plants and getting impacted. There are lists of safe plants for your cham - Golden Pothos and spider plants are hardy if you want something cham safe and doesn't necessarily need a grow light to start.

If you read through some of the Chameleon Academy modules on setting up the cage, you will get some ideas to help you make some good changes.

My gut, just from your pictures, is that Richard feels exposed and unsure of footing because all the branches seem quite thick and also he doesn't have network branches to get around so he might not feel secure moving from one area to another. I'm just going from the pictures I have seen - I could be wrong.

I hope other people offer their feedback and I'm sure Richard will appreciate any upgrades you make for him!! All the best!!
Thank you! I will definitely look into that. I saw the Chameleon Academy website earlier today actually when I was looking up something else for chameleons but didn't know if it was legitimate or not.

Thank you! I will definitely look into that. I saw the Chameleon Academy website earlier today actually when I was looking up something else for chameleons but didn't know if it was legitimate or not.
It's fantastic! I tried to use the forest edge set up that Chameleon Academy mentions for our chameleon and it's working out very well - she seems to like it. They have great ideas and pictures how to choose branches, attach things, how to design the interior of the cage with good veiled-safe plants. A great help!

I was misting that much because I was worried he wasn't getting enough water or drinking enough since I never see him drink. It does dry fully in between each misting though. How often should I mist to ensure he's getting enough water?
you can use a dripper that drips onto a real leaf from a real plant for him to drink from, or use a fogger at night. It is normal to never see your cham drink.

It's fantastic! I tried to use the forest edge set up that Chameleon Academy mentions for our chameleon and it's working out very well - she seems to like it. They have great ideas and pictures how to choose branches, attach things, how to design the interior of the cage with good veiled-safe plants. A great help!
Thank you! We will have to get a small free range set up for him and get all the supplies so we can revamp his cage in one go and have a place to put him while it happens that will hopefully keep him as stress free as possible. We have been wanting to also build him a bigger cage but just haven't had the time nor money yet to do it unfortunately.

Thank you! We will have to get a small free range set up for him and get all the supplies so we can revamp his cage in one go and have a place to put him while it happens that will hopefully keep him as stress free as possible. We have been wanting to also build him a bigger cage but just haven't had the time nor money yet to do it unfortunately.
He'll probably enjoy the time on free range while you rearrange a few things:) We have a small ficus bush/tree (dug up from someone else's extras in their garden) and a medium umbrella plant with strong branches that we put together on a mesh shelf for our free range in a window. The cham loves to be there, especially when it's sunny and she sees the trees moving in the breeze!

He'll probably enjoy the time on free range while you rearrange a few things:) We have a small ficus bush/tree (dug up from someone else's extras in their garden) and a medium umbrella plant with strong branches that we put together on a mesh shelf for our free range in a window. The cham loves to be there, especially when it's sunny and she sees the trees moving in the breeze!
1600744750557.png

I think he would definitely love something like that! We were just talking about maybe also building him a outdoor enclosure or a multi tree free range in our basement (like a living wall almost but of trees) in the future.
Wow! Those are lovely project ideas!! Our cham loves sunny windows.

I think he would definitely love something like that! We were just talking about maybe also building him a outdoor enclosure or a multi tree free range in our basement (like a living wall almost but of trees) in the future.
An outside enclosure would be great for natural sunlight! If you keep him there all year, you dont even need to spend money on lighting.

Usually every afternoon for about an hour or so, we let her go on her free range... to avoid getting shack-wacky?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male . Age: ~4-5 years old. Owned since juvenile.
  • Handling - Never if possible. Otherwise use a stick to get him out of possible with as little fuss to keep his stress down.
  • Feeding - Dubai roaches with occasional hornworms. Feed 6-8 1 1/4 inch - 1/5 inch roaches every other day. Gut loading with roach chow meant for feeders. Occassional veggie scraps thrown in.
  • Supplements - Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Zoomed Repti-Calcium w/ D3. Yes I dust the feeders every time with a mix of both supplements.

• Watering - Mistking misting system that mists 3 times a day morning afternoon and evening for 5 minutes each time. No we haven't seen him drink since he was a juvenile.

• Fecal Description - Dark brown and white. They are usually dry and hard. Can't tell which are fresh or not though or if fresh have been falling below the grating.
  • History -We just moved but he's been like this since before the move. Had a mild respiratory infection 3-4 years ago. Had exotic vet diagnose and give treatment schedule. Have not been able to tong feed since illness.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and wood. Interior Dimensions Approx. 41 inches tall x 28 inches wide x 21 inches deep . Full height: 83.5 inches.
  • Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVb and All Living Things 100 watt basking bulb. Schedule: Lights on from 7 am - 7pm
  • What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature -Not sure of temp range. Lowest range at night should be no lower than 70 F since thats what I have my house temp. set to.
  • Humidity - Not sure need to get hygrometer. House humidity averages 61-65% according to Nest App. Any suggested brands for a digital one? Maintained by mistking misting system that mists 3x a day for 5 minutes each
  • Plants - No
  • Placement - Office /bedroom. Two computer desks on opposite wall. Cage is by window (he seems happier now that he can look out a window. I.e he doesnt hide as much) There is a floor vent by the cage but it is kept closed or partially closed. Top of interior of cage is ~77.5 inches from floor.
  • Location - Geographically located in New Jersey USA in rural settings.

Current Problem - Chameleon tends to hide and seems insecure or not as happy as he could be. Would like to update enclosure so he feels more comfortable. Would also like a recommended digital hygrometer

You definitely need some more plants for cover. Not only does this help them feel safe and secure but it also helps them get into a cooler spot to thermoregulate.

Here is a list of safe plants you can use:
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

I’m very curious what the humidity and temperatures are inside the enclosure. Here are two thermometer/hygrometers I’d suggest. I’ve used a link to lllreptile but there are other places that carry them. The sooner you can get one the better.

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34330-zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/8430-zilla-digital-thermometer--hygrometer-with-probe

His/Her cage is smaller then the minimum required for an adult male veiled, 24x24x48.

The enclosure is pretty close to the “minimum required”.

You definitely need some more plants for cover. Not only does this help them feel safe and secure but it also helps them get into a cooler spot to thermoregulate.

Here is a list of safe plants you can use:
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

I’m very curious what the humidity and temperatures are inside the enclosure. Here are two thermometer/hygrometers I’d suggest. I’ve used a link to lllreptile but there are other places that carry them. The sooner you can get one the better.

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/34330-zoo-med-digital-combo-thermometer-humidity-gauge

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/8430-zilla-digital-thermometer--hygrometer-with-probe

The enclosure is pretty close to the “minimum required”.
Thank you for the advice and for recommending a hygrometer and thermometer! I've had mixed success with other ones I've bought from petsmart that just didn't seem to last. I can now find my heat temp measuring gun (hopefully) and at least measure his heat today at his basking spot, middle of his cage and bottom. I did at one point have a hanging fake plant in front of the branch were he basks but then he tended to not bask there so I removed it and he went back to basking. I've tried adding plants but I also am very bad at keeping them alive. So I will have to try again now that we aren't living in apartments.

We want to build him a larger enclosure but just don't have the time or money to do so right now unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom