Constructive criticism / Advice wanted on how to improve my setup please

Caboose

Hello,
I would love to have some constructive criticism and advice and how to improve the the enclosure my husband and I built. Our veiled chameleon, Richard, is very shy and does not seem to be as happy as we would hope. He has been in this enclosure for 2-3 years now. He often hides and shrinks himself down and turns brown if we are in the room (even if just sitting at our computers) or even look at him. I have tried adding more fake foliage and decreasing it. I also tried live plants for awhile also. The enclosure interior size is approximately 41 inches tall x 28 inches wide x 21 inches deep. His basking branch (or cooling branch if he wants to get away) is a little higher than my head (I'm 5ft 6inches).

He also currently tends to climb to the bottom of his cage and sometimes falls to get there. I am pretty sure he is trying to hunt the Dubai roaches we feed him but we do have a cup we put them in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_212602.jpg
    IMG_20200921_212602.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20200921_212546.jpg
    IMG_20200921_212546.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Can you post pics of the whole enclosure? Without that it’s hard to say what could be improved
Oh Shoot! I knew I was forgetting something! Sorry about that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_212602.jpg
    IMG_20200921_212602.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20200921_212546.jpg
    IMG_20200921_212546.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 116
While your at it, if you want to get full feedback you can fill out this form too: (Just to make sure you correct anything that may not be good for the cham)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m a fan of live plants in the enclosure. I would make sure he had a place he can go that you can’t see him very easily from any direction

Maybe if there’s a spot where he feels totally hidden he’ll feel more comfortable when you’re around

Can you please fill this out and I’d like to see more pictures.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

K cool! Also can you post pics of your cham? Something looks weird about him
Sure! He is asleep in the picture I attached to the post. When he's asleep is the only time we see him colorful like this or get a picture of him in general.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_215714.jpg
    IMG_20200921_215714.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20200921_221654.jpg
    IMG_20200921_221654.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 137
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male . Age: ~4-5 years old. Owned since juvenile.
  • Handling - Never if possible. Otherwise use a stick to get him out of possible with as little fuss to keep his stress down.
  • Feeding - Dubai roaches with occasional hornworms. Feed 6-8 1 1/4 inch - 1/5 inch roaches every other day. Gut loading with roach chow meant for feeders. Occassional veggie scraps thrown in.
  • Supplements - Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Zoomed Repti-Calcium w/ D3. Yes I dust the feeders every time with a mix of both supplements.

• Watering - Mistking misting system that mists 3 times a day morning afternoon and evening for 5 minutes each time. No we haven't seen him drink since he was a juvenile.

• Fecal Description - Dark brown and white. They are usually dry and hard. Can't tell which are fresh or not though or if fresh have been falling below the grating.
  • History -We just moved but he's been like this since before the move. Had a mild respiratory infection 3-4 years ago. Had exotic vet diagnose and give treatment schedule. Have not been able to tong feed since illness.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and wood. Interior Dimensions Approx. 41 inches tall x 28 inches wide x 21 inches deep . Full height: 83.5 inches.
  • Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVb and All Living Things 100 watt basking bulb. Schedule: Lights on from 7 am - 7pm
  • What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature -Not sure of temp range. Lowest range at night should be no lower than 70 F since thats what I have my house temp. set to.
  • Humidity - Not sure need to get hygrometer. House humidity averages 61-65% according to Nest App. Any suggested brands for a digital one? Maintained by mistking misting system that mists 3x a day for 5 minutes each
  • Plants - No
  • Placement - Office /bedroom. Two computer desks on opposite wall. Cage is by window (he seems happier now that he can look out a window. I.e he doesnt hide as much) There is a floor vent by the cage but it is kept closed or partially closed. Top of interior of cage is ~77.5 inches from floor.
  • Location - Geographically located in New Jersey USA in rural settings.

Current Problem - Chameleon tends to hide and seems insecure or not as happy as he could be. Would like to update enclosure so he feels more comfortable. Would also like a recommended digital hygrometer

This is usually what he will do with his color and making himself smaller even if we are across the room. I know its not the best image to show the full effect but it's the only one I have currently.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200414_092642.jpg
    MVIMG_20200414_092642.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 121
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male . Age: ~4-5 years old. Owned since juvenile.
  • Handling - Never if possible. Otherwise use a stick to get him out of possible with as little fuss to keep his stress down.
  • Feeding - Dubai roaches with occasional hornworms. Feed 6-8 1 1/4 inch - 1/5 inch roaches every other day. Gut loading with roach chow meant for feeders. Occassional veggie scraps thrown in.
  • Supplements - Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Zoomed Repti-Calcium w/ D3. Yes I dust the feeders every time with a mix of both supplements.

• Watering - Mistking misting system that mists 3 times a day morning afternoon and evening for 5 minutes each time. No we haven't seen him drink since he was a juvenile.

• Fecal Description - Dark brown and white. They are usually dry and hard. Can't tell which are fresh or not though or if fresh have been falling below the grating.
  • History -We just moved but he's been like this since before the move. Had a mild respiratory infection 3-4 years ago. Had exotic vet diagnose and give treatment schedule. Have not been able to tong feed since illness.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and wood. Interior Dimensions Approx. 41 inches tall x 28 inches wide x 21 inches deep . Full height: 83.5 inches.
  • Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVb and All Living Things 100 watt basking bulb. Schedule: Lights on from 7 am - 7pm
  • What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature -Not sure of temp range. Lowest range at night should be no lower than 70 F since thats what I have my house temp. set to.
  • Humidity - Not sure need to get hygrometer. House humidity averages 61-65% according to Nest App. Any suggested brands for a digital one? Maintained by mistking misting system that mists 3x a day for 5 minutes each
  • Plants - No
  • Placement - Office /bedroom. Two computer desks on opposite wall. Cage is by window (he seems happier now that he can look out a window. I.e he doesnt hide as much) There is a floor vent by the cage but it is kept closed or partially closed. Top of interior of cage is ~77.5 inches from floor.
  • Location - Geographically located in New Jersey USA in rural settings.

Current Problem - Chameleon tends to hide and seems insecure or not as happy as he could be. Would like to update enclosure so he feels more comfortable. Would also like a recommended digital hygrometer

That's great - thanks for filling out the form! I'm not an expert but I will offer some feedback and others can correct me if I am off.

First off, it looks like a nice size cage! The fact you have nice, high branches is a great feature!

Regarding supplements, it seems more correct to dust feeders with calcium without D3 almost every day, a multivitamin only once every two weeks and calcium with D3 once every two weeks.

I hand mist, so others probably have better advice regarding automated misters, but from what I have read here, a couple of mistings a day (one in the morning before lights go on, one at night just after lights off or close to) rather than 3 would be sufficient, as it's good that your enclosure dries out between mistings. Also, your home's humidity is already 60% or so, so you are already starting with a fairly high humidity and that needs to be taken into consideration. It sounds like it might be good to measure with a hydrometer and see where humidity is.

What I do feel more confident giving feedback on, if you are looking for ways to make your chameleon more comfortable is the cage setup in terms of branches and plants. A great resource is the Chameleon Academy: https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/ In a nutshell, I think you want to make sure you mostly have branches that he can easily wrap his feet around (not too large) or otherwise he will feel uncomfortable walking around. Your branches look pretty thick. In the Chameleon Academy link it talk about the different kinds of branches - structural, basking, security, feeding/drinking, and lots of network branches. A nice basking branch 9 inches distance from his UVB light is the norm, as I understand and make sure your temps are decent on the basking branch e.g. around 85 (some people may recommend slightly higher or lower) ?

Also, you want to plan to have all live plants in your enclosure, as chams are at risk for ingesting plastic plants and getting impacted. There are lists of safe plants for your cham - Golden Pothos and spider plants are hardy if you want something cham safe and doesn't necessarily need a grow light to start.

If you read through some of the Chameleon Academy modules on setting up the cage, you will get some ideas to help you make some good changes.

My gut, just from your pictures, is that Richard feels exposed and unsure of footing because all the branches seem quite thick and also he doesn't have network branches to get around so he might not feel secure moving from one area to another. I'm just going from the pictures I have seen - I could be wrong.

I hope other people offer their feedback and I'm sure Richard will appreciate any upgrades you make for him!! All the best!!

Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Zoomed Repti-Calcium w/ D3. Yes I dust the feeders every time with a mix of both supplements.
This wrong, you should only use multivitamins one day every two weeks. You should use Calcium with d3 every two weeks also. The reason your cham looks a bit obese is due to the d3 overdose. You need to dust every day with calcium without d3, and d3 every two weeks.

More photos of the set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_225113.jpg
    IMG_20200921_225113.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200921_225104.jpg
    IMG_20200921_225104.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200921_225125.jpg
    IMG_20200921_225125.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 103
Back