Constructive criticism / Advice wanted on how to improve my setup please

Thank you for the advice and for recommending a hygrometer and thermometer! I've had mixed success with other ones I've bought from petsmart that just didn't seem to last. I can now find my heat temp measuring gun (hopefully) and at least measure his heat today at his basking spot, middle of his cage and bottom. I did at one point have a hanging fake plant in front of the branch were he basks but then he tended to not bask there so I removed it and he went back to basking. I've tried adding plants but I also am very bad at keeping them alive. So I will have to try again now that we aren't living in apartments.

We want to build him a larger enclosure but just don't have the time or money to do so right now unfortunately.
Hello again! Personally, I think your size is close enough to the regular size and wouldn't focus on a rebuild right now. I think redoing the branching and adding easy care, decent in low lighting plants - pothos and spider plant - into your enclosure, and checking temps/humidity and making any necessary adjustments will make the huge changes (in addition to the supplementation changes that were recommended) in your chameleon's behaviour and comfort level in his enclosure. It might only take you a few hours and a quick trip to pick up plants but it will be worth it!

For branches, you can inspect branches you can inspect them and pick up from outside, create lots of horizontal pathways (some semi-horitzontal) and network branching - focus on the mid to upper area of your enclosure for plants and branches as a healthy cham spends most of his time in that area. If your basking area is the right temp and your uvb light is about 9 inches from your highest branches, and your cham can adequately grip and get his feet around the branches...

If you do that, I think you will see big changes in Richard's comfort - it may take some time before he realizes what he has, but once he does, I think the changes will happen... Just my two cents and hopefully people with more knowledge can put in some ideas! All the best!

Thank you for the advice and for recommending a hygrometer and thermometer! I've had mixed success with other ones I've bought from petsmart that just didn't seem to last. I can now find my heat temp measuring gun (hopefully) and at least measure his heat today at his basking spot, middle of his cage and bottom. I did at one point have a hanging fake plant in front of the branch were he basks but then he tended to not bask there so I removed it and he went back to basking. I've tried adding plants but I also am very bad at keeping them alive. So I will have to try again now that we aren't living in apartments.

We want to build him a larger enclosure but just don't have the time or money to do so right now unfortunately.
Also, if you use the double pot method (attach pots in the enclosure the same size as the plants you are putting in,and just slipping the potted plants into them) you can take out, replace and switch your plants as need be. I find with pothos it's nice once in a while to take them out and soak the bottom of the pot in water so that the water doesn't just run through but penetrates the roots. Can make it a little weekly routine to try and help the plants stay alive! (coming from someone who had the same problem and still does occasionally:)

His/Her cage is smaller then the minimum required for an adult male veiled, 24x24x48.
By my calculator, it's a little larger than minimum. ;)
24 x 24 = 576
21 x 28 = 588

Since the top foot or so of a 48"H enclosure often isn't utilized much, and the bottom 8" or so is often taken up by pots or bioactive layers, I don't think I'd sweat the height difference too much.
Size looks fine to me. YMMV. :)

Others here are more knowledgeable about what's going on inside, but IMO, you have some very nice features with the storage, misting, drainage, enclosed lighting, et al.

Looks like some serious thought & planning went into it. Nice job. :)

By my calculator, it's a little larger than minimum. ;)
24 x 24 = 576
21 x 28 = 588

Since the top foot or so of a 48"H enclosure often isn't utilized much, and the bottom 8" or so is often taken up by pots or bioactive layers, I don't think I'd sweat the height difference too much.
Size looks fine to me. YMMV. :)

Others here are more knowledgeable about what's going on inside, but IMO, you have some very nice features with the storage, misting, drainage, enclosed lighting, et al.

Looks like some serious thought & planning went into it. Nice job. :)
41 x 28 x 21 = 24,108 cubic inches
48 x 24 x 24 = 27,698 cubic inches

I agree with @Klyde O'Scope that this is not a huge difference in size.

Back
Top Bottom