constipation?

whitespyder

Let me know if you think this sounds like a problem for my female veiled:

I recently went on a week long trip and my mom took very good care of Thalamus. I just got a mistking setup (love it!) but didnt have much time before I left to experiment with how many times/length of misting to ensure she gets proper hydration as well as not flooding her cage or killing her plants. So I come home to a very fat Thalamus and I suspect that shes a bit constipated perhaps from not enough hydration. She used to make a big poop every 2-3 days before my trip and now she just poops a very small amount everyday and her urates are mostly all white. Is this a sign of constipation or impaction? It just seems weird that shes changed her pooping schedule. She's also wandering her cage alot so I'm also worried it could be eggs although I palpated her and felt nothing.

Well if shes eating and pooping I wouldnt worry.
Signs of impaction are bloatedness, not eating, not pooping, and legthargy.
Have you tried giving her a shower and seeing if shell lay a nice big poop down for you?
If you havent already dont do it until your SUPER worried cuz showers tend to stress most chams out.

Other than that Im going to take a guess but maybe it could be a parasite?
That might be why her poops are so small.
Id get a fecal done for just in case.

I think if she's pooping she can't be impacted...I sort of think that's one or the other...

Do you have a laying bin for her? Regardless of this discussion, I think you should.

My guess would be she's a pig and your mother was very happy when she ate so over fed her.

I don't mean anything bad by what I just said, but some animals just eat and eat regardless and some mothers think that is cute so continue the cycle (this is why my trim 95 pound Canadian Golden Retriever got to 130 pounds when I had to move back to my parent's home a gazillion years ago)

I'd say the increase in pooping supports that: the more you feed, the more they poop.

If I were in this situation, I'd go back to my normal routine and, in a week, see how things are.

thanks you guys! she is eating well though but since i got back shes been a little more timid and less hesitant to run up as soon as i show her the feeding cup. maybe seeing a new face for a week has made her forget me! i have been feeding her a tiny bit less to see if that helps and lengthened her misting time to 2 minutes every 2-3 hours. (she needs long a time to realize its time to drink)

pedroANDAshley, maybe ill try the shower idea. ive had some bad experiences with it in the past but now that shes half blind in one eye i can position myself on her bad eye side and she doesnt notice me! hopefully its not a parasite. she has been positive for worms and was medicated in the spring. ill get a fecal for her soon.

elizadolots, i did have a laying bin for a while but i removed it since she kept eating the sand. and perhaps she was spoiled by grandma while i was gone, lol! she really wont stop eating if given the opportunity. :p

IMHO its important to have a laying bin in the cage.

Did your Mom feed her differently than you do??
How much do you feed her and how often?

IMHO its important to have a laying bin in the cage.

Did your Mom feed her differently than you do??
How much do you feed her and how often?

she fed her the same way i have been for a while. 5-6 crickets or 3-4 superworms every other day. somedays she would mix it up by giving 3 crickets and 2 superworms etc but never really gave more than 5 feeders a day when she fed her. once the weather gets cooler im going to buy her silkworms since they keep her very well hydrated.

currently ive been feeding her a few feeders less and havent seen a change in her bowel habits yet. shes also been alot more shy around me so it takes a while to get her to eat.

i did put it back in but i didnt see much activity going on today. i swear if shes sneaking eating that sand again im going to go nuts

Back
Top Bottom