Constipation and dehydration despite everything?!!! HELP!

svs421

hameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 1 YEAR OLD MALE AMBILOBE x SAMBAVA. I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE JANUARY
  • Handling - ALMOST DAILY TO BRING OUT FOR FREE RANGE TIME. HE IS EXTREMELY TAME AND HE COMES OUT ON HIS OWN WILL, NEVER FORCED.
  • Feeding - FEED HORNWORMS, SILKWORMS, BUTTERWORMS, PHEONIX WORMS, WAXWORMS, AND CRICKETS. I ALTERNATE BASED ON AVAILABILITY BUT HAVE BEEN FEEDING MORE WORMS LATELY BECAUSE HE HAS REFUSED CRICKETS. CRICKETS ARE GUTLOADED WITH A BLEND OF WHEATGERM AND BEE POLLEN, REPASHY BUG BURGER, AND FRESH VEGGIES (CARROT, YAM, SQUASH ETC). WORMS ARENT GUTLOADED.
  • Supplements - USING CALCIUM WITHOUT D3 OR PHOSPHORUS EVERY FEEDING EXCEPT ONCE A WEEK WHEN I USE REPASHY CALCIUM PLUS.
  • Watering - MIST KING - 5 x DAILY @ 2.5 MINUTES, DRIPPER GOING 24/7
  • Fecal Description - POOP HAS BEEN LARGE WITH MUCUS COVERING. WITH INSPECTION NO VISIBLE SIGN OF ISSUES (BLOOD, LARGER WORMS ETC). ONLY GOES ONCE A WEEK ON AVERAGE. I HAVE NOT HAD A FECAL DONE AS OF YET.
  • History - HE HAS NEVER GONE DAILY LIKE MY OTHER CHAM DID. HE IS A SHY DRINKER BUT I HAVE SEEN HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES AND HE SHOOTS HIS TONGUE OUT AT THE DROPLETS RATHER THAN LAP AT THE WATER. HENCE THE DRIPPER. HIS APPETITE IS ALWAYS GOOD, VERY ACTIVE, GROWING WELL. HE HAS LOST A FEW GRAMS IN THE PAST 10 DAYS - THIS WAS DURING HIS CONSTIPATION TIMELINE SO RIGHT NOW I AM ATTRIBUTING IT TO THAT.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24X24X48 SCREEN ENCLOSURE WITH 2 SIDES COVERED TO HELP HUMIDITY
  • Lighting - T5-H0 5.0 UVB AND REGULAR HOUSEHOLD BULBS FOR HEAT WHICH ARE THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED
  • Temperature - BASKING THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED TO MAINTAIN 90, FLOOR SITS AROUND 73.
  • Humidity - 50 DROPPING TO 20 BETWEEN MISTINGS. MIST KING GOES OFF 5 TIMES A DAY FOR 2.5 MINUTES EACH TIME (RECENTLY INCREASED FROM 1 MINUTE). DRIPPER GOING 24/7. HUMIDIFIER IN ROOM SET TO MAINTAIN 55. ALL WATER SPRAY IS POSITIONED TO RUN DOWN VARIOUS LIVE PLANTS TO CREATE A DRIPPING ATMOSPHERE.
  • Plants - POTHOS, SMALL FICUS, SMALL DRACENEA
  • Placement - LOCATED IN A ROOM DESIGNATED FOR THE CHAMELEON. SITS ON A STAND THAT RAISES IT 2.5 FEET UP OFF THE GROUND. THIS IS A LOW TRAFFIC QUIET AREA OF THE HOUSE WITHOUT ANY DRAFTS.
  • Location -SASKATCHEWAN, CANADA

Current Problem - Despite all of the ways I use to create a humid environment (I ALSO STEAM SHOWER HIM ONCE A WEEK) he is still dehydrated. His urates have been hard and orange this past month. He was constipated a couple of weeks ago (lasted 10 days). I had hoped that his urates would improve but when he went yesterday they were the same. He only tends to go to the bathroom once a week.

Since he pooped after his constipation, he looks skinnier to me - almost underweight (not sure if it is just me because I saw him bloated for so long). Today he weighed in at 156 grams, down from 162 after he cleared his constipation 2 weeks ago.

I have increased the hornworms in his diet hoping it will help hydrate him better. His appetite is good but he isn't as voracious as he was during the summer (assume seasonal change as it happened once winter hit).

These are pics taken today.... 12295480_10153039717526618_8368062813256300794_n.jpg 12314094_10153039721311618_5270512098660200193_n.jpg 12310510_10153039721241618_5205041455867462028_n.jpg

I have noticed if they do not poop for awhile sometimes the urate will be orange like that. Seems like you are doing everything right. I sometimes will take the worms and dip them in water before feeding for extra hydration. If the orange urates do not subside, I would maybe take him to a vet and have blood work done to check kidney function

I think at this point a visit to the vet would be a good idea, to check for parasites and kidney function (as carol5208 suggested).

You may want to adjust your supplement schedule to calcium without D3 or phosphorus at every feeding, Calcium with D3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. Calcium plus every week may be a little much, depending on it's ingredients and concentration.

If it was me, I would probably curtail his handling as much as possible- even voluntary handling is stressful on them and if he has something brewing extra stress isn't great. If he is the type to pace and pace and pace to get out, well, that would be your call regarding the stress of bring cages vs the stress of handling.

He looks pretty good in his pictures, actually. He wouldn't be what I'd call dehydrated, but that doesn't mean there isn't something going on.

Back
Top Bottom