Constant molting

Yes.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Sorry, has he had one shed after another or is the same peeling skin stuck on him.
If he is growing rapidly he can have one shed then shed again and again.
It is not normal for shedding skin to be stuck for weeks and it can be a sign of poor health and/or improper care.

Sorry, has he had one shed after another or is the same peeling skin stuck on him.
If he is growing rapidly he can have one shed then shed again and again.
It is not normal for shedding skin to be stuck for weeks and it can be a sign of poor health and/or improper care.
That’s what the form is for!

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Veiled, male, unknown age (he is a juvenile, was a baby when I got him), I’ve had him since November

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Almost daily. He usually comes down and climbs on my arm when I go to feed him

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Feeding crickets, usually 5 or so a day, feed them Fluker’s high calcium cricket food

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

He has not been supplemented in months. I was in the hospital and my mom wasn’t supplementing while I was gone. Getting back on a schedule of ZooMed Calcium without D3 every other day, ZooMed Reptivite every 2 weeks and ZooMed Calcium with D3 every 2 weeks

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

I hand mist three times a day for about 30 seconds; never see him drinking

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Medium to dark brown feces and white unrates. Never tested for parasites

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Screen Reptibreeze 24”x24”x48”

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 linear
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 75watt
Bulbs on 13 hours a day. I’ve seen it should be 12 so I will adjust that

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

68 floor and about 85 basking spot measured with a digital thermometer with temperature probe. Lowest of 60 at night.

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Humidity varies between 40-70, depending on air conditioning or heat, mist plant in Vivarium to keep humidity up. Measured with analog humidity gauge.

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Schefflera arboricola

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Cage is in the living room, which I guess is high traffic, but he never seemed to mind cage top is at 4’

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Green Bay, WI

Current problem - shedding constantly and one of his eyes seems to be bothering him

Last edited:
I feel so bad. He hasn’t been cared for properly. perhaps I should get rid of him to someone who will properly care for him.

Shed issues are from lack of supplements and a proper gutload. Eye issue is likely due to improper supplementation also, specifically lack of vitamin A. You can fix all of this easily.
So the cricket food isn’t enough? I need to gutload with veggies and fruits, too? What should I gutload with?

Back
Top Bottom