Confusing behavior in cage and free range.

pssh

Avid Member
Hyperion (panther, male) gets to free range every or every other day if he wants to. He's really weird about it though. Some days he will climb on my hand from the cage and refuse to get on the free range. Other times he climbs on me from the free range (as if he really doesn't like it) and refuses to get in the cage. Sometimes he will just use me as a travel device and happily get in his cage or free range and wants nothing to do with me. What's going on? Does that mean he doesn't like his free range sometimes and othertimes he doesn't like his cage? And what about when he won't go on either? I just have to sit there with him on me or he runs from me like I'm a monster trying to eat him and runs around on the floor and fires up a little. While it's amusing for a little while, I have things to do and holding him often makes tasks more difficult.

Side note: He was being super cute and started to munch on some dead/half dead leaves in his free range this morning. :)

Thanks!

LMAO - welcome to my world, Rocko does the same thing. Sometimes he will just climb up the chair and sit on my arm :rolleyes:. Your guy is normal and he has you trained just right. :D

He's becoming more and more odd! He's a dwarf of sorts, he only eats certain bugs, he likes to munch on dead leaves (never live ones,) he can't decide whether or not he wants in or out, he likes climbing on my couch, seeks out my bird when he's in the same room (they never get close enough to interact as my bird is afraid of him) he's deathly afraid of my guinea pigs (he climbed on their cage one day when I wasn't looking,) and he doesn't use his nails to climb unless you flip him over, and he waits at the front of his cage for me (though not always to get out.)

That's what I love about some panthers, they are so curious and fearless. Rocko rules my apt, he has no boundaries.

I have one that uses me as transport from cage to favoured plant. He reaches out when I open the cage and moves to my shoulder, then moves to the other shoulder in the direction of the plant. Normally he likes to be on the plant. But There have been times when he seemed content to stay on me rather than move to the plant. Especially if he has crawled up onto the top of my head - and I am afraid to move much with him up there as he doesnt hold onto the hair all that well! Eventually I can usually gently coax him to where I need him to go, and really where he wants to go, but if he thwarts me for too long I require him to go back in his cage. Like you say, I've go too much to do to wait about for him to tire of my head! I find sitting on the floor with my arm aimed up over my head to the cage usually triggers his natural "move upwards" response. If not, I kinda move my hair towards a branch and basically push him back into the cage. He's not a biter, so if needs be I can just pick him up using my hands.

Others are less tolerant (more intelligent perhaps) of me and thus moving them requires more attention and effort. Therefore I use a stick for moving them more than I will allow them onto me.

Back
Top Bottom