conflicted

ok. soooo cammy will be a year in september and i still feed her once daily. i know i should be feeding her every other day i just feel bad because every morning she comes over to where i put her food dish and she loves food. i know chams (especially females) will eat as much food is put in front of them and i don’t want her to get over weight, but i’m also like 98% sure she’s gravid. should i make that transition to every other day now, or wait till she’s laid? also, this would be her first clutch, any tips would be very much appreciated!!

This is one of those situations where feeding her everyday will do harm. It does not matter if they act hungry. Veileds will eat and eat and eat. Beman sits at his food dish everyday and still only gets fed 2 feeders 3 days a week. If I fed him what he wanted he would die more than likely from renal failure due to obesity.

With a female it is ten times worse to give in. Creating a situation of a larger clutch that they could become eggbound with or that they do not make it after laying them. Also they should only be fed 3 days a week with a max of 3 feeders by the time they are 9-10 months old. basking temps 78 with a max of 80. lower temps reduces their metabolism and helps them not to want to eat 24/7.

@cammythechameleon4 can you post a photo or two of your female from today please.

How much do you feed her in a day? How do you supplement? What UVB light do you have...long linear, compact, brand, etc?
usually i feed her 4 or 5 black soldier fly larva daily

Attachments

• E6688C06-79E3-4D7F-94C3-B63739DD887D.jpeg
    E6688C06-79E3-4D7F-94C3-B63739DD887D.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 5E639581-417F-45A1-B355-487B2C19F060.jpeg
    5E639581-417F-45A1-B355-487B2C19F060.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 25731BB1-4E23-4485-95DE-B4D988906CD0.jpeg
    25731BB1-4E23-4485-95DE-B4D988906CD0.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 51
  • BB7EB347-B715-48B4-8D24-36B97623C6B8.jpeg
    BB7EB347-B715-48B4-8D24-36B97623C6B8.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 65
This is one of those situations where feeding her everyday will do harm. It does not matter if they act hungry. Veileds will eat and eat and eat. Beman sits at his food dish everyday and still only gets fed 2 feeders 3 days a week. If I fed him what he wanted he would die more than likely from renal failure due to obesity.

With a female it is ten times worse to give in. Creating a situation of a larger clutch that they could become eggbound with or that they do not make it after laying them. Also they should only be fed 3 days a week with a max of 3 feeders by the time they are 9-10 months old. basking temps 78 with a max of 80. lower temps reduces their metabolism and helps them not to want to eat 24/7.
i keep track of temps and they are where they should be, i have everything down except feeding. that was the only thing i wasn’t sure about. i have a calendar where i track supplements so i will label what days to feed her on there as well. so 3 feeders 3 days a week? what if the larva aren’t very big they’re only like an inch or so long

i keep track of temps and they are where they should be, i have everything down except feeding. that was the only thing i wasn’t sure about. i have a calendar where i track supplements so i will label what days to feed her on there as well. so 3 feeders 3 days a week? what if the larva aren’t very big they’re only like an inch or so long
The only thing your feeding is BSFL? Nothing else? This is not adequate nutrition for her. They need other feeders so they are getting different nutrients. Not to mention BSFL as the cham gets larger are not always chewed and therefor do not digest well. They can come out exactly the way they go in.

chameleon-food(1).jpg

The only thing your feeding is BSFL? Nothing else? This is not adequate nutrition for her. They need other feeders so they are getting different nutrients. Not to mention BSFL as the cham gets larger are not always chewed and therefor do not digest well. They can come out exactly the way they go in.

View attachment 308701
that’s her main diet i feed her horn worms as a treat, as well as super worms. sometimes when i run low on larva i feed crickets

ok well it would be 3 feeders 3 days a week.... And you do not want to feed all BSFL, it should be a variety. 2 crickets one bsfl, 1 discoid 2 bsfl, 1 cricket 1 discoid 1 bsfl, 1 bsfl 1 dicoid 1 silkworm, 2 crickets 1 hornworm, etc.... BSFL being the main is not advised. While they have a great phos to calcium ratio they are not an only feeder option. No feeder is. There should always be variety of some type. Cycling in different feeders to create this. If a person fed all silkworms their cham is going to get mad diarrhea. If you only feed roaches then their is a risk of renal issues because roaches hold higher uric acid levels then other feeders.

Everything in balance basically. It would by like someone telling you that you can only eat carrots every single day and giving you a piece of chicken once a week. Your diet and health would be totally out of balance.

Last edited:
ok well it would be 3 feeders 3 days a week.... And you do not want to feed all BSFL, it should be a variety. 2 crickets one bsfl, 1 discoid 2 bsfl, 1 cricket 1 discoid 1 bsfl, 1 bsfl 1 dicoid 1 silkworm, 2 crickets 1 hornworm, etc.... BSFL being the main is not advised. While they have a great phos to calcium ratio they are not an only feeder option. No feeder is. There should always be variety of some type. Cycling in different feeders to create this. If a person fed all silkworms their cham is going to get mad diarrhea. If you only feed roaches then their is a risk of renal issues because roaches hold higher uric acid levels then other feeders.

Everything in balance basically. It would by like someone telling you that you can only eat carrots every single day and giving you a piece of chicken once a week. Your diet and health would be totally out of balance.
ok thank you so much i’ll change this up

Back
Top Bottom