Concerned

MrNook

I have a 3 month old baby panther and I'm concerned about his eye but maybe it's normal - it tends get large like a bubble then go down in a few minute period - he also kept his left eye closed this morning - like he was sleeping yet his other eye was watching the crickets. Am I just stressing or should I be concerned?

No, that's not normal but is a common problem. Currently no one knows for sure why this happens but the prevailing theory is lack of vitamin A causes changes in the tear ducts and tear glands. Other causes can include inflammation/infection, low humidity, heat/light problems or cancer. At home you can try flushing with a sterile eye flush you can get at the pharmacy. A trip to the vet if that fails. Don't wait long to go to the vet as these can progress rapidly.

The first few weeks are usually the most critical because its a major change to the chameleons environment. Make sure your husbandry is up to snuff and see if there is anything that may be causing it.

Thanks - I've posted pics of the set up - has a king mister set up and heat is fine - only concern is he is only eating fruit flys as he was never trained to eat crickets out of a container - I'll keep watching him - breeder says he's fine and I'm just stressing

I missed the three month old part. Its not usual to have eye problems so young. With a young one I would check lighting, heat and humidity. Is it actually swelling up or are you see it retract and protrude? A picture would help.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum so we can help you better. Please post a recent photo too.
Be specific about what supplements you use and add what you feed/gutload the insects with.

Hi guys sorry for delay in responding and I'll post some pics - my breeder said could be something in his eye and to flush it with contact solution??? Like that's easy and how? He seems to be rolling his eye around - don't know how to post video. His temp is 85 in tank, humidity 70% - I've only had him for 1 week so he's only been eating fruit flys and crickets with calcium powder on them though his tank gets misted 5 times a day so any crickets in their that he didn't get will lose their calcium - someone said maybe vitamin a deficiency but dang after 1 week?

Picture of him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 188
I tried posting a video - it's not swollen all the time he kinda pushes his eye out like that moving it around - then he pulls it back to normal then back like that again. No discharge but he does itch it on your finger when you hold him. The bulb is a uvb100 from exo terra

I tried posting a video - it's not swollen all the time he kinda pushes his eye out like that moving it around - then he pulls it back to normal then back like that again. No discharge but he does itch it on your finger when you hold him. The bulb is a uvb100 from exo terra

That is a compact bulb and very likely the culprit for such a quick eye closure. Try using a T5 HO linear bulb like Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. My hunch is his eye will slowly open after replacing in about 7-10 days. Meanwhile if you must use, make sure he has PLENTY of foliage to shade himself with. I would ditch the bulb and use outdoor UVB until a replacement can arrive. You can get a Zoomed UVB 18-24" terrarium hood with Reptisun 5.0 bulb from Amazon for $35-46. Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-H...&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=24"+zoomed+uvb+fixture

I just watched your video. His eye does look really red and irritated. If he's itching it on stuff then it's really bothering him at this point and can irritate the eye more and scratch the cornea. I'm thinking at his age he probably doesn't have a vitamin A deficiency but anything is possible. It might be bacterial such as conjunctivitis or being so young the UVB compact may be bothering his eyes so it could be
Photo Kerato Conjuctivitis. I started out with a compact and replaced it with a linear UVB. Unfortunately, after watching the video at this point the eye looks really irritated and I recommend taking him to a vet to get it checked out. Eye problems can cause a Cham to go down hill really quickly and his being so young I wouldn't chance trying to remedy it at home.

Thanks Jaxygirl ill look into this linear bulb - one thing is is that the eye is only red when he bulges it out - but when he pulls it back it looks normal - do you think its a bit early to hit the vet - hes pretty small - ill turn his uv bulb off tomorrow and try and get a better bulb - my breeder thinks im just stressing for no reason which just stresses me more

Thanks Jaxygirl ill look into this linear bulb - one thing is is that the eye is only red when he bulges it out - but when he pulls it back it looks normal - do you think its a bit early to hit the vet - hes pretty small - ill turn his uv bulb off tomorrow and try and get a better bulb - my breeder thinks im just stressing for no reason which just stresses me more

Switch breeders. Not a good response to a customer.

Well your breeder is wrong. Your little guy shouldn't be acting that way and there is obviously something wrong with his eye. Just don't wait to long after you replace the bulb before you take him to the vet if there is no improvement. If it is a bacterial infection and it goes into his other eye then it will become a real problem.

Back
Top Bottom