Complaining

DanSB

Avid Member
As some of you know my Pipin my Senegal passed away a little while ago. The first few days were tough, I kept trying to mist the enclosure or get some insects ready for dinner. I still have an impulse to mist and the frogs appreciate the extra attention I suppose.

I can't find any dang Chameleons!! I do have a pair of babies reserved but they won't be ready for awhile longer, and I want a chameleon right now!

Unless you want a Panther, Veiled, or Xantho Jackson it is really a lot of work to find a decent Chameleon! The closest i came was a flap neck in town but my wife just didn't like him. A great Cameroon shipment showed up with some Triceros species I really wanted but they were sold out in a day. i found someone else with Captive Hatched Senegal babies, I was ready to order 3, gone... And so on and so forth.

The take away here is if you see an uncommon chameleon for sale you want DO NOT hesitate, it will be gone.

I think chameleon prices should increase because they are moving far too fast and this might encourage captive breeding and availability of some more variety of species. Not to mention people would tend to take better care of 200 dollar investment than one where the animal cost less than the UV light fixture over it...

I should also like to complain about the general state of importing animals. I think WC Chameleons being marketed as pets is wrong. They are not good pets, they are likely to die inside of a year, will cost money in vet bills if you do try to keep them alive, and are generally less healthy than teir captive bred cousins.

Importers should only be selling to people with established or attempting to establish breeding groups specifically as new genetic material for the captive populations. Anything less is cruel to the people buying the chameleons and cruel to the chameleon who is not getting the care it needs in the hands of some kid who bought a cheap pet...

Am I done complaining? Not even close...

Why do herp dealers often not answer their phones or reply to e-mails? Are they busy? Likely, why would you not set up an away message or say so on the answering machine?

I have a lot more but I will close with why in the world have we not devised a more efficient method to get reptiles across the country? I know for a fact packaging exists that could keep temperature stabilized for 48 hours in all but the most intense conditions, and maybe even then! But we can't seem to get an overnight shipment that leaves in the evening and arrives in the morning to ship safely in the middle of summer?

Okay I'm done complaining thank you all for letting me vent...

Dan I so agree with you. I have been trying to find some semi decent female quads but they are just not out there.

Dan I so agree with you. I have been trying to find some semi decent female quads but they are just not out there.

I am even willing to settle for some recent imports and make it my goal to just get some eggs. I'm looking for one of the more colorful Triceros species like a Peacock, Crested, or Mt Meru... I about jumped when I saw two of the above species in the Classifieds here. He must have sold out almost the same day because once my wife and I discussed how many of what species we wanted and I sent a request they were all gone.

The species I actually secured I had to contact people who I knew were breeding what I wanted and reserve them. I suspect if they had been advertised there would have been none left...

If I see any good quads out there I'll be sure to let you know. I'm checking lots of places regularly.

Agree. Agree. Agree. Especially about the shipping conditions and methods. Ridiculous.

I think shipping costs could be significantly reduced just by finding other keepers in your area and trying to do group buys. I think it would be awesome if a company like SYR could help facilitate something like this. Or really if anyone maintained a private mail list of keepers within range of each Fed Ex hub and when someone was buying from a specific zip code they could send out a mail and see if anyone else wants in on shared shipping expense. Or something to that effect...

I also would like to see more of the temperature stabilized materials being used / and reused. The reason some of this stuff is not used is expense and weight. If costs can be reduced through sharing and the materials could be recycled / reused that could help there...

Hey, PM cnorton (I think that's Chad's username.) He had some flap necks or senegals a little while ago. He might still have some or perhaps some other species you are interested in. He lives pretty close. Chameleons101 might have something other than veileds/panthers so it might be worth it to check in on them. They're in citrus heights.

Hey, PM cnorton (I think that's Chad's username.) He had some flap necks or senegals a little while ago. He might still have some or perhaps some other species you are interested in. He lives pretty close. Chameleons101 might have something other than veileds/panthers so it might be worth it to check in on them. They're in citrus heights.

I wish we could actually get a Nor-Cal meet up together so we could all figure out what everyone is doing locally.

One of the local stores actually had a very nice flap neck but when I took my wife in to see it the idiot girl who works there grabbed it like it was a gecko to get it out and of course it got dark and gaped all angry turned black and gave a very bad impression. Either way I have decided against them for awhile as I have already chosen a Chamaeleo species and I want to mix op my genus's a bit! :)

Chameleons 101 is strictly panthers from what I have seen and I would like to stick to my rule of not owning a reptile named after a feline species. (Except a tiger chameleon if there are any available I will break that rule).

It might be becoming apparent I am very particular and this is probably why it is difficult for me to find a chameleon? ha haa

Chameleons101 breeds mostly panthers but they do have other kinds from time to time. I'm just not sure what kinds they may have at the moment. They tend to only advertise the panthers though. Pet's to go in Elk Grove might have something but I haven't been there in years so I don't know... Maybe call them? That's all I can think of in this area right now.

Back
Top Bottom