compact bulbs causing blindness?

jerseyrugby21

i have boon looking around the posts and it seems that apparently the reptiglow 5.0 can cause BLINDNESS!!! i currently am using the zoomed 5.0 bulb is that bulb safe? i just want to make sure that my chameleon will be ok.

Both brands of the CFL UVB lights have been associated with eye problems in the past. Although the manufacturers claim to have fixed the problems, they still pop up occasionally. From reading many, many posts on this topic I've gathered that the reptiglo lights have been associated with fewer problems than the reptisun. Your safest option is a linear UVB light when in doubt.

I've not seen a single instance where the ReptiGlo 5.0 has been associated with such cases of blindness. Please provide specific links to these cases as implicating this bulb falsely is a huge error. I have ReptiGlo 5.0s on >25 enclosures and have never had a problem.

Chris

I was using a repti sun self ballasted compact 5.0 and it was burning my little girls eyes as it was not a lineal bulb. I beleave it was to much pointed right at her. I am now using a 24inch repti glow 10.0 and she is doing great with this brand. I stepped up to the 10.0 as I have a big cage now.

i am basing these comments on statments from other users from this forum as well as if you simply search google there are a number of cases that show up (ask.com, yahoo questions..ect) and people talking about how there was eye damage and that they BELEIVED that it was the cause of the light. as you can see two out of the three people that have commented on this post have responded saying that yes there has been some evidence of this. i have unfortinatly not been able to find any hard evidence or studies regarding this. i have decided that i will see how my cham is doing and if i notice any issues i will address the light issue and change it to the diffrent bulb. but untill then i believe that it is safe and will take your advice chris and stick with it.
thank you for your input,
Matt

Matt,

I think you're missing the specifics of my post. I'm asking specifically about documented cases where the ReptiGlo 5.0 CF was implicated. I've never seen a single case, only people who randomly group all CF bulbs or the Reptisun & ReptiGlo together without any justification. There are records of this issue with Reptisun, R-Zilla and Mystic bulbs (http://uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm) but not with ReptiGlo. More information on which batches of Reptisun CF bulbs were effected and which were changed to fix the problem have been posted on the forum before but I have not once seen anyone produce any reference to ReptiGlo CF bulbs being included in any known cases.

Chris

chris-i have looked over the information breifly on the website and i now understand that i wasn't getting the full gist of your statments and i apologise for the misunderstanding. yes i see that they have not included the reptiglo bulbs in this or any other studies. also it seems that they have fixed the issues with the cf lights and that they are now considered to be safe. thankyou for the post so i was able to more closely read into the topic and become more familar with the possible issues.

Carol- thanks :)

Chris,

Are there separate fixtures on all 25 cages for the CF bulbs? I'd like them for the purpose of live plants, but not with that many outlets.

Kevin

Man I am about to go blind :rolleyes: here shortly from this not so deep Dome light I have on my panther. (ordered the wrong thing online and had to go with this one from local not so great pet store) I have to go take that thing back it is reflecting all of the light right at me! I have read this also since joining I have no clue! Just wanted to chime in anyway!

Back
Top Bottom