common chameleon

I don't now...but I used to.

then what happened? do you know anyone who still breeed them?

I love common chameleons but captive bred are impossible to find in Europe because of cites and restrictive wildlife conservation laws however if you go to Tunisia or Morocco wild caughts are sold by the dozens on street markets :confused::mad:

I had them back in about 1993 or 1994. I got 2.3 WC adults and in the following fall the 3 females produced a clutch of eggs each. I wasn't too experienced with chameleons at that point and was afraid to hibernate them although they did get a cooling off that winter. All the eggs that were fertile hatched and some of the babies I kept and since I couldn't get any more bred together. I wasn't worried about the genetic implications of this since I intended not to do it again in future generations and intended to keep all the babies myself. The eggs produced that year hatched as well....but there were fewer of them and I suspected that they were from retained sperm. The original adults were with me for several years and most of the babies I kept lived for 5 or 6 years too...but none of the babies produced eggs (which I'm almost sure had to do with me not hibernating them completely). I believe they were Moroccan but can't swear to it....its been a long time and my notes are stored away.

I don't know of anyone at all in this half of the world who has bred them before that or since. There was some people in Europe who did have some way back when who said they'd bred them but I don't know if they had success in following years either.

I had them back in about 1993 or 1994. I got 2.3 WC adults and in the following fall the 3 females produced a clutch of eggs each. I wasn't too experienced with chameleons at that point and was afraid to hibernate them although they did get a cooling off that winter. All the eggs that were fertile hatched and some of the babies I kept and since I couldn't get any more bred together. I wasn't worried about the genetic implications of this since I intended not to do it again in future generations and intended to keep all the babies myself. The eggs produced that year hatched as well....but there were fewer of them and I suspected that they were from retained sperm. The original adults were with me for several years and most of the babies I kept lived for 5 or 6 years too...but none of the babies produced eggs (which I'm almost sure had to do with me not hibernating them completely). I believe they were Moroccan but can't swear to it....its been a long time and my notes are stored away.

I don't know of anyone at all in this half of the world who has bred them before that or since. There was some people in Europe who did have some way back when who said they'd bred them but I don't know if they had success in following years either.

too bad no one breeds them anymore! they are amazing little chameleons, I saw them once and they really seem to be able to change their colour to match the background.

i know colour change in most chams is more a form of communication rather than camouflage but the common chameleons i saw really seemed to change colour to mimic the predominant colours in the environment.can you confirm that?

Sorry, I can't confirm that they change to match their background more than others did although at least one Senegal I had would take on brighter white markings and change her pattern somewhat when put near the white bark of the birch trees in my yard. Of the C. chameleons that I had most did a nice green color or a beige although a couple of them would at times become almost yellow.

I found them to be quite "mellow" for chameleons...none ever tried to bite me and would accept being handled much easier than a veiled!

One of the original WC males used to sleep in the empty dish/lid on the floor of the cage in the winter months...curled up like a dog!

camouflage or not i love em :) and i didn t know thay make good "pets" too!

there are a lot of people in southern europe who would love to be able to keep a cham outdoors all year round! no heat lamp no UVB no misting, almost no food during winter! that'd be a low maintainance pet indeed!!!

the funny thing is that in italy for example, you are allowed to keep and breed c.b. commons as long as you have the CITES permits and keep record of hatchings but no one takes tha trouble of importing a pair of cb from germany or other countries because they say common chams are "ugly" and would have no market compared to veileds or panthers! now how stupid and short sighted is that?

I'm from Europe, and where i live they are in the wild :D

i found them when they were REALLY young , (couldnt be older than 2-3 days old, and they were still together!)..

Many people kill them here, because of a stupid myth of them being dangerous..

including the 1 i currently have, i've had 7 so far, which 2 i released my self in the forest, 1 escaped and 1 died (RIP)...

I didnt really try breeding them , so i never had CB babies, but those i got now really act like CB!

if i run across a male WC , i may try breeding them

I'm from Europe, and where i live they are in the wild :D

i found them when they were REALLY young , (couldnt be older than 2-3 days old, and they were still together!)..

Many people kill them here, because of a stupid myth of them being dangerous..

including the 1 i currently have, i've had 7 so far, which 2 i released my self in the forest, 1 escaped and 1 died (RIP)...

I didnt really try breeding them , so i never had CB babies, but those i got now really act like CB!

if i run across a male WC , i may try breeding them

right! i see what you mean, I guess you're from Greece then..
there are some small populations even in southern Italy (Sicilia and Puglia) ;)

anyway make sure you release ALL your chameleons as soon as you can cause you're not supposed to be keeping any wild caught common chameleon.

actually i'm from Cyprus :D

and trust me , i love and admire those creatures.. the only reason i would keep some is to either help them survive, or in the future, repopulate.. ;)

and there's nothing illegal in the matter, as my dad's work is to protect the endangered species in Akama's forest xD
btw too much chameleon forums reading confused me, i said sold in a post instead of release, glad i could edit it...lol, the exact opposite meaning

actually i'm from Cyprus :D

and trust me , i love and admire those creatures.. the only reason i would keep some is to either help them survive, or in the future, repopulate.. ;)

and there's nothing illegal in the matter, as my dad's work is to protect the endangered species in Akama's forest xD
btw too much chameleon forums reading confused me, i said sold in a post instead of release, glad i could edit it...lol, the exact opposite meaning

oh ok! that changes things a little bit :)
so keep up with the good job and try to hatch as many as you can!
(so you can spare a couple fro me :D )

yep... it's more appropriate too, cause they only live in islands and countries near the mediterranean...(at least in the wild). The name of this thread it Common chameleon though, it really should have been Mediterranean.

Back
Top Bottom