Colours and adding females

Ash

Hey,

I'm just wondering first, whts up with my Chameleon? He was bright green and yellow in the shop and was really friendly, now he usually stays a dark green/ brown colour, and hates my hand in his tank (cleaning etc.)

Also, I read in 'The Chameleon Handbook' that male Veileds can quite happily live with a couple of females?

Cheers

Ash

Tank?

Are you keeping it in a glass aquarium? Once they reach a certain age, they view their reflection as a threat, and stress over it. So over the long term, a "tank" won't work.

You can raise a male with other females if you have a lot (and I mean a whole lot) of space for them. You'd probably need so much space that you may as well house them separately anyway.

Steve

Also, I read in 'The Chameleon Handbook' that male Veileds can quite happily live with a couple of females?

Some of these books are old, some of the info in them is outdated.
Veileds are generally aggressive and territorial.
The only time they can live together in relative happiness is when they are hatchlings, or as Steve said - when there is lots of space. And when he says 'lots of space' he means like in the wild where they each have their own set of trees/shrubs as territory.

Ahh thats cool no worries.

Cheers guys!

He's in a fully mesh/ wire cage (Exoterra 'Flexarium'). I got in a bit late today and saw to my desire he was colourful. Could it be because the basking and UV lamp where on about an hour and a half longer?

Cheers

Ash

Back
Top Bottom