Colour okay?

Zeyna04

So I understand that he’s supposed to go dark to absorb light, but he’s not even in the basking spot. He’s been in the low spot all day with darker colours than usual. Should I be worried or is this normal? Neville is a 4 month old panther by the way. Sorry I couldn’t get a clearer picture of him for my question. (By the way he has a new plant in as of this morning. Not sure if that’s what is upsetting him because he’s not used to it). I also attached just an image of his more brighter colours at the bottom for no reason whatsoever?

Attachments

• C28B0472-B991-4FE0-9973-62411726D135.jpeg
    C28B0472-B991-4FE0-9973-62411726D135.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 84
  • B64E1452-D46A-46B9-B56C-206317434FB9.jpeg
    B64E1452-D46A-46B9-B56C-206317434FB9.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 85
He is a beautiful little cham! On first pic he looks dark to me but they don’t get dark to absorb heat necessarily if its warm enough and that is okay. Just to be sure can you fill out this form and post it back here?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 4 month, Panther Chameleon, Male. Been in my care for 1 month.
  • Handling - currently, once a week
  • Feeding - Gutloading Locusts with varied fruit and veg, feeding about 10 a day in the morningn. -Supplements - using daily multipurpose nutrobal supplement but I thought he needs multiple varied supplements however shop person insisted otherwise.
  • Watering - I have a mistking but it’s not working at the moment so I’m using a spray bottle 3-4 times a day as well as a humidifier going for 1 hour about 6 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Normal consistency with white urate.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - reptibreeze xl size.
  • Lighting - long UVB bulb goes between 12-14 hours a day
  • Temperature - basking spot has microclimate ministat with dimming sensor. 26c-31c.
  • Humidity - Using humidifier but I don’t know exact level.
  • Plants - I use live plants. Ficus, fam palm, umbrella plant, dragon tree, guzmania, pothos.
  • Placement - Corner of bedroom by the window but no direct light from window is coming through
  • Location - UK

Current Problem - The colour he has been changing to lately and staying low down in the enclosure

• Your Chameleon - 4 month, Panther Chameleon, Male. Been in my care for 1 month.
  • Feeding - Gutloading Locusts with varied fruit and veg, feeding about 10 a day in the morningn. Make sure you're not using spinach-Supplements - using daily multipurpose nutrobal supplement but I thought he needs multiple varied supplements however shop person insisted otherwise. Well the shop is wrong he needs calci dust without d3 every day and once a week switch out from dusting with d3 and multivitamin. which one do you use currently and does it have d3?
  • Watering - I have a mistking but it’s not working at the moment so I’m using a spray bottle 3-4 times a day as well as a humidifier going for 1 hour about 6 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Normal consistency with white urate. I would get a fecal done to make sure it isnt parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - long UVB bulb goes between 12-14 hours a day It sounds like the right one but I need more details. Just send a photo of the box or give more specific info
  • Temperature - basking spot has microclimate ministat with dimming sensor. 26c-31c.
  • Humidity - Using humidifier but I don’t know exact level. For a panther It should be around 40 - 50% during the day and higher during the night and when he gets misted
  • Plants - I use live plants. Ficus, fam palm, umbrella plant, dragon tree, guzmania, pothos.
  • Placement - Corner of bedroom by the window but no direct light from window is coming through
  • Location - UK

Current Problem - The colour he has been changing to lately and staying low down in the enclosure

• Feeding - Gutloading Locusts with varied fruit and veg, feeding about 10 a day in the morningn. Make sure you're not using spinach-Supplements - using daily multipurpose nutrobal supplement but I thought he needs multiple varied supplements however shop person insisted otherwise. Well the shop is wrong he needs calci dust without d3 every day and once a week switch out from dusting with d3 and multivitamin. which one do you use currently and does it have d3?
  • Fecal Description - Normal consistency with white urate. I would get a fecal done to make sure it isnt parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - long UVB bulb goes between 12-14 hours a day It sounds like the right one but I need more details. Just send a photo of the box or give more specific info
  • Humidity - Using humidifier but I don’t know exact level. For a panther It should be around 40 - 50% during the day and higher during the night and when he gets misted
  • Location - UK

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. A) I DON’T gutload spinach? B) I knew I should’ve gone with my gut on getting more supplements. I’ve just ordered the extras he needs and will switch between them accordingly (should be coming tuesday). C) Due to the Covid situation I have been unable to register him to the closest vet that works with exotic animals but they are open now, I will register him tomorrow and hopefully get a fecal test for him as well as a general check up. (Also if you could recommend a good way to transport him to the vets I would appreciate it) D) I don’t know the humidity of my enclosure accurately. I have a temperature gun coming this week but for humidity level checks can you recommend me something similar I can use to see if it is the correct percentage? Thank you.

@Zeyna04
Watering - I have a mistking but it’s not working at the moment so I’m using a spray bottle 3-4 times a day as well as a humidifier going for 1 hour about 6 times a day

Just want to touch on the humidifier. Cool mist humidifiers should only be run into a cage at night when temps have dropped and all lights are off. Running these during the day with the heat from the lights will create an environment in which your cham develops a respiratory infection which would require vet care.

Accurate info links:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

@Zeyna04
Watering - I have a mistking but it’s not working at the moment so I’m using a spray bottle 3-4 times a day as well as a humidifier going for 1 hour about 6 times a day

Just want to touch on the humidifier. Cool mist humidifiers should only be run into a cage at night when temps have dropped and all lights are off. Running these during the day with the heat from the lights will create an environment in which your cham develops a respiratory infection which would require vet care.

Accurate info links:

Hey, I know this is a bit off topic, but I’m looking to buy a good fogger / humidifier to run at night for my enclosure. What do you recommend that is pretty cheap?

@Zeyna04

Accurate info links:

I really appreciate this information thank you. Unfortunately my humidifier doesn’t have a function for specific times. I can only set frequency and duration (e.g. every 4 hours, comes on for 1 hour), so I suppose in my case it’s a matter of just turning it off completely in the day and on in the night only which is fine by me but I don’t know how long to leave it on for in the night/how often. I have a Reptibreeze XL Mesh enclosure so I think a lot of the humidity escapes which is why I’m not sure if I have the humidifier on too much or too little. Thank you

I really appreciate this information thank you. Unfortunately my humidifier doesn’t have a function for specific times. I can only set frequency and duration (e.g. every 4 hours, comes on for 1 hour), so I suppose in my case it’s a matter of just turning it off completely in the day and on in the night only which is fine by me but I don’t know how long to leave it on for in the night/how often. I have a Reptibreeze XL Mesh enclosure so I think a lot of the humidity escapes which is why I’m not sure if I have the humidifier on too much or too little. Thank you
You could buy a timer. Is it possible to set a timer up with that Configuration?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. A) I DON’T gutload spinach? B) I knew I should’ve gone with my gut on getting more supplements. I’ve just ordered the extras he needs and will switch between them accordingly (should be coming tuesday). C) Due to the Covid situation I have been unable to register him to the closest vet that works with exotic animals but they are open now, I will register him tomorrow and hopefully get a fecal test for him as well as a general check up. (Also if you could recommend a good way to transport him to the vets I would appreciate it) D) I don’t know the humidity of my enclosure accurately. I have a temperature gun coming this week but for humidity level checks can you recommend me something similar I can use to see if it is the correct percentage? Thank you.
Just get digital hidrometer that is not under 5$ lol

Back
Top Bottom