colors free ranging

fusionf5

How come while he's in his home he's mostly dull colors brown soaking up the sun. Yet the min I put him on a tree in my room he turns awesome colors that I never see. Hes turning 6 months soon and in a cage 2 by 3 high

IMHO...when you take them out of their home range (cage) and put them in a free range area you are putting them on the defense and on guard against predators....but its just my opinion.

With my experience of free ranging chams, they are much happier out of the cage and show their brightest most beautiful colors when not caged. They also love going outside when weather permits and show very nice colors when outside. You might want to consider sitting up a full time free range for him if you have a safe place to do so.

Mine also fire up beautifully when they're running around their free ranges. But mine live cageless permanently, so they aren't always fired up. But they do look much prettier than they used to in their cages a great majority of the time. Mine also move a lot more, which feels healthier, physically and mentally. Mine used to sit in the same spot in their cages aaaall day long, every day, always darkish and lazy. I've seen great physical improvements in my chams since the change, so I can only speculate that it's been a positive change for them.

My chameleons that free range just sit in their plants all day. :) they bask a little, drop down for a bite, then go right back in there. They blend so well I can't always find them! I do think abnormally bright colors are not necessarily good. Perhaps a little less dark, but bright would bother me. Mine are always in their normal wear, only changing colors very minimally and/or for basking. Sometimes my male Sambava will have different colored bars, but that's normal for him. He cannot decide which color he wants to stick with :) Red, blue, purple, even green sometimes! Never rapid changes though.

i was just thinking maybe its his happy colors. There not bright but they are nice. And i know hes not threatened because its inside my room and i usually just sit away from him or im out and hes in here by himself. I cant set up one out side as it is winter and way to cold by me. Im not worried I was just wondering.

On another note i left and checked back up on him and he was almost gone, walking down the table when i caught him, idk how he'd get down but i dont want to loose him lol.

They usually leave when their needs are not met or if they are looking for a mate. He still may be on guard because it's not where he normallly lives and it's much more open. He doesn't know that a huge monster isn't going to jump through the wall and eat him whole. :)

On another note i left and checked back up on him and he was almost gone, walking down the table when i caught him, idk how he'd get down but i dont want to loose him lol.

That's why you need a safe place to free range if you are not going to supervise every moment. My guys roam all the time. Luie's been roaming all day. I think it was the excitement of Christmas. My husband was getting presents out form under the tree, which is right by Luie's FB and he got on his back off his tree. Several other times I caught him roaming around on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom