color variety connected to longevity?

jeanie

Hello, I have a question that I hope I can phrase right. I do not mean to offend any breeders first of all. If genetics and breeding for color is similar to other animals, and captive bred animals have a limited gene pool could certain varieties be less hardy ie sunburst. My girlfriend lost her 4-5 yr old sunburst male :( , and the vet said it may be due to genetics :confused: . I thought veiled chams lived longer. Lastly my cham Louie has a bent helmet ( sorry can't remember proper name for it). I hope this just makes him unique. He doesn't have to win any contest. I love him as is.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Hi jeanie

Are you referring to inbreeding and how that can affect the lifespan of a chameleon? I do not know enough to give a good answer there. It is an interesting question though, so I hope someone else can answer.

About your cham's bent helmet. This could be a big sign of calcium deficiency. Do you have any pictures? Have you been dusting his food? What kind of schedule do you use?

neil nosy be

inbreeding

Hi jeanie

Good question, i can only speak from experience but i have been breeding panthers for some time and have crossed many different locals say nosy be with sambava and have not noticed them becoming any weaker from generation to generation.But i have been breeding them a short time compared to some keepers so this may magnifer further down the genarations

The correct name for a helmet is casque

jeanie

thank you reply

Well I guess I was wondering why the vet said Louie1 may not have been as robust or long lived because of his color ( sunburst). I think the vet may have believed that health ( genetics) of the animals were compromised to achieve the color variety. Yes I believe he was talking about possible inbreeding or just too small of a gene pool. Louie II is my new 6 month old cham. He was through mail order and his casque ( thank you for correct name) was bent when I recieved him. He eats a lot, about 20 gut loaded dusted crickets, 6-10 king mealworms, 6 wax worms, and 2-3 grasshoppers a day. I think he is still growing.
I finally got him to eat out of my hand today! He does not have chubby hind legs
or show any signs of a problem. He balances on his hind legs and stands up to catch his crickets. I hope he is not sick. I bought him from a on-line reptile store that had good references. Now that I have all this new info I hope I can take care of him right. Thanks again, Jeanie:eek:

neil nosy be

Greed

Hi

Are you sure he eats that lot in a day as this will more than keep a adult panther alive as they require between approx 30-50 adult crickets a week to maintain body weight

Heika

My juvenile panther was eating around that amount in a day also. He has recently slowed down to about 15-20 medium sized crickets and as many moths as I can catch.

jeanie

hungry cham

:p Yes, Louie eats a lot. He slowed down a little since I got him about a month ago. He is about 7 months old now. He is definitely growing yet. I just got back some of my first pics of him. I thought he was big when I got him! Is it wrong to let him eat as much as he wants? He loves chasing down his crickets. I did make him eat out of my hand in order to have a king mealworm. I'm tring to get him used to me. I watch him eat so I know he is eating that much. Will he slow down when he grows up?

Top Bottom