Color variation of an individual male pather

bobcochran

Chameleon Enthusiast
These color changes have nothing to do with whether he's "fired up" or not. He's pretty much fired up in all the pictures. The first 2 pictures were taken about 2 years ago at the age of ~1 year. He colored up even more for another 9 months or so. Then he hit what I call hormonal over load: being in constant breeding condition for about 18 months. His brilliant colors all but disappeared. He was in his drab state for 6 months. To further my own knowledge I tried to breed him in this condition to a receptive female. He had no interest in breeding! The last 2 pictures (2 different exposures) are his bright colors returning. It's hard to believe all these pictures are the same animal.
IMG_7720.jpg
IMG_7726.jpg
IMG_7463.jpg
IMG_9319.jpg
IMG_9321 (1).jpg
IMG_9872.jpg
IMG_9875.jpg

That’s crazy!! I guess I didn’t realize that they could make that drastic of a color change. He’s beautiful both ways by the way.

I’ve noticed my panther looses the brighter colors starting in about December, through April. Granted I’m not breeding him, but the last three years have shown the same pattern. My lighting adjusts to winter hours, but he also stays inside during this time due to outside temps. Seasonal or breeding season changes?

I’ve noticed my panther looses the brighter colors starting in about December, through April. Granted I’m not breeding him, but the last three years have shown the same pattern. My lighting adjusts to winter hours, but he also stays inside during this time due to outside temps. Seasonal or breeding season changes?
This is what I don't understand. My ambilobe definitely don't follow a winter/summer cycle. The males go 1.5-2 years then go into a funk for 6 months. Not an annual cycle at all!

Back
Top Bottom