College Dorm Chameleon?

eson461

I was wondering if taking care of a chameleon in a college dorm room would be smart? my RA is chill with it and wouldn't snitch on me for having a reptile. I was thinking about having a chameleon as i've been obsessed with them for as long as I can remember. The only thing I'm worried about is the stress it might put on the animal of having people around. I highly doubt any of my freinds would attempt to hold it but would having people around cause stress to the animal?

I would not do this at all. There are easier reptiles to keep in small spaces like a leopard gecko that would handle the stress of a dorm.

Chameleons need an enclosure at least 2x2x4 also they have to have a solid 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. All live plants and branches.

They are extremely expensive for the set up at least 1k and the live bugs you have to keep takes up more space (roaches, crickets, maggots, superworms)

Plus you have to be able to control temps and the humidity levels. Sometimes this involves having humidifiers running in the room.

Then there are the things you can not control. Since pets are not allowed what if others in your dorm get mad that you have this animal and they are not able to. Or the RA finds out that the crickets and roaches running loose are due to you.
Chameleons are not easy to place when you have to rehome them.

First off, kudos to you for asking and doing research beforehand 👏👏

Also have to consider what you would do when the dorms close for the holidays. It's not easy to travel with a chameleon and they cannot travel on planes.

Take this time to enjoy everything has college to offer and continue to learn about these amazing creatures and get ready to give your cham the PERFECT home they can thrive in once your living situation is more stable and in your control 💚💚

Back
Top Bottom