Collecting

Texas Panther Man

Has anyone else tried to go out and collect any wc bugs this year? I went out on Wednesday and tried to catch some grasshoppers or katydids. I found 3 grasshoppers in about 30 mins. Which is pathetic for the place I normally collect from. I can usually collect 10-15 every 1/2 hr. Its still a little too cool I guess. In about 2 more weeks the hoppers should start coming back in Texas. Wanted to know if anyone else had any luck.....

Opposite problem here, too hot. They really go nuts for green feeders dont they, more than any other, mine will almost run to grab green hoppers or caterpillars, mantids etc :)

Yeah, I got a cpl that can be picky eatters at times. Sometimes they will eat their cricks & dubia sometimes they turn their nose up and give me the evil eye. :eek: So I was hoping to get them some enrichment feeders. The green grasshoppers are relished by my crew also. Unfortunately I only caught one of those. The other two were the brown variety of hopper. What gets me is they can immediately tell the diff between a brown crick and a brown hopper of the same approx size. They will turn down the brown crick and inhale the brown hopper. Picky little brats. lol

i seen a few grasshoppers out a few days ago but then it got chilly and now it raining. when it clears i will go out on a bug hunt.

i just started a dubia colony so i will try to offer one of those to see how he likes it.

Has anyone else tried to go out and collect any wc bugs this year? I went out on Wednesday and tried to catch some grasshoppers or katydids. I found 3 grasshoppers in about 30 mins. Which is pathetic for the place I normally collect from. I can usually collect 10-15 every 1/2 hr. Its still a little too cool I guess. In about 2 more weeks the hoppers should start coming back in Texas. Wanted to know if anyone else had any luck.....

I moved to Texas during the middle of the summer, IDK if Houston gets them but can the Chams eat the Black Crickets that are scattered all over the place in Texas?

Ive never tried to feed em off to be honest, so I dont know? I only feed off what I know is safe. Grasshoppers, katydids, stink bugs, stick insects, and the occasional moth or dragonfly. I'd like to try bees, but pulling out stingers isnt something I relish trying to do. So I havent tried those yet, but Ive read they are a great feeder option. ;)

Ive never tried to feed em off to be honest, so I dont know? I only feed off what I know is safe. Grasshoppers, katydids, stink bugs, stick insects, and the occasional moth or dragonfly. I'd like to try bees, but pulling out stingers isnt something I relish trying to do. So I havent tried those yet, but Ive read they are a great feeder option. ;)

I just did some research and they are called Field Crickets, will be the easiest colony ever... Just walk onto my balcony and grab them :p I read a couple of places where its safe for the Chams to eat them.

I would be careful with those. Since we have swarms every year I know a ton of businesses use tons of pesticides when they're around to keep them out. If you're in a city of any kind I would not use them because you have no idea what they may have been exposed to. Out in the country it's probably not a bad idea though.

Ha ha, your out collecting Katydids to feed to your Chameleon and we exhibit Katydids in the UK! I love that Sri-lanka exhibit europeon hedgehog and yet ride around on elephants. We exhibit Indian elephants and run over europeon hedgehogs! (not intentionally may I add, people should drive more carefully)

Theres still snow up here haha so no chance going out collecting :p Mind you has anyone ever given their chams any aquatic insects? like dragon fly/damsel fly nymphs or small toe biter (belostomatid) bugs? They are here all year round in the water.

I had a gravid Tamatave outside getting some sun and she ate a bee, stinger and all!!! Being wild, Im pretty sure she knows what shes doing.

Back
Top Bottom