Cold hardy plants

BCboom

So I need to do a complete replacements of plants for my veiled chameleons cage. Most of them died because it’s winter right now. I need to know where can I find replacment plants for my chams cage in up north in ct USA. I usually buy my plants from tropical stores or Home Depot, I haven’t actually checked but I assume that they are out of season for tropical plants.

I know most of what plants I can get for the chameleon. I’m mostly wondering where I can actually get them. Like is there a website that sells fully grown tropical plants or something?

I know most of what plants I can get for the chameleon. I’m mostly wondering where I can actually get them. Like is there a website that sells fully grown tropical plants or something?
Check home depot or lowes for their indoor plants... If you are not providing plant lights or if they are too wet or too dry they will die off... All of my plants in the cage are thriving including 2 hibiscus. You just have to ensure the cage set up is right and that you repot them in organic soil with drainage to it. You will want Veiled tested plants as well.

chameleon academy plants.png

Yes, but the shipping will likely be as much or more than the plants. 👎

So I need to do a complete replacements of plants for my veiled chameleons cage. Most of them died because it’s winter right now. I need to know where can I find replacment plants for my chams cage in up north in ct USA. I usually buy my plants from tropical stores or Home Depot, I haven’t actually checked but I assume that they are out of season for tropical plants.
Check. ;) AFAIK (I live in the Northeast/Great Lakes area) Home Despot, Lowes, Wallymart, et al stock plants year-round. Some Garden stores may still be open too, depending on what's near enough (We've made day-trips to get plants. ;) )

I've also found the tips in this video quite helpful.

If you're planning on replacing all/most, this would be a good opportunity to plan ahead.
I know you said:
I know most of what plants I can get for the chameleon.
But I don't know exactly what you may or may not know, so apologies in advance.
Safe Plant Lists:

Be sure to read all text & notes.

See also: https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

IME, it's not just a matter of picking plants off of lists; we have to become amateur botanists to some small degree. Learn each plant candidate's individual requirements (water, soil, feeding, light, etc.), and cross-check & balance against other plants and the enclosure as a whole. E.g. full-sun plants won't do well at the bottom of an enclosure, plants that like dry conditions won't do well if misted several times a day, etc., etc. Some plants are better as hangers; others are better as climbers; a few can be either/both, particularly the vines (pothos, philodendron, inch plant).

I would consult multiple sources on plant care; I've found many discrepancies, and gone with the consensus.

I'm in a similar situation. I am going to be setting up a new, larger cage for my chameleon next week and I want a bunch of plants but am limited to Home Depot and Lowe's (which have some right now, but not a wide variety). The few local nurseries I've called are not open yet, but one is opening next week. I've also been looking on Amazon and on Etsy..... maybe even E-Bay?
Sue

Back
Top Bottom