Coconut Oil

Camille1

Has anybody heard of using coconut oil on a Cham's skin or to put in their food? This sounds like a crazy idea to me but I've been reading up on it and there are people out there using it for their reptiles. It can help in a variety of reasons but wanted to ask someone on here first before I attempted any of it.

Has anybody heard of using coconut oil on a Cham's skin or to put in their food? This sounds like a crazy idea to me but I've been reading up on it and there are people out there using it for their reptiles. It can help in a variety of reasons but wanted to ask someone on here first before I attempted any of it.

Who's using it for what reasons? On which species? Proof of effect? Potential side effects? Not all reptile skin is the same, nor are skin problems all the same. If there is a problem using something non specific may mask the real cause or make it worse. Sounds a bit like "snake oil" claims to me. Doing it because it might have benefits isn't enough. If you are gutloading your feeders correctly there isn't any reason to start adding oils just because. I don't think chams absorb much of nutritional benefit through their skins (except heat and uv!) anyway.

Last edited:
Who's using it for what reasons? On which species? Proof of effect? Potential side effects? Not all reptile skin is the same, nor are skin problems all the same. If there is a problem using something non specific may mask the real cause or make it worse. Sounds a bit like "snake oil" claims to me. Doing it because it might have benefits isn't enough. If you are gutloading your feeders correctly there isn't any reason to start adding oils just because. I don't think chams absorb much of nutritional benefit through their skins (except heat and uv!) anyway.

It seems to be the latest greatest thing so was curious about using it with veiled chams. People I have read about use it for moisture and health for their reptiles. I thought it is a crazy idea. I have been reading up on a lot of different benefits that can be added to diet and health. Cocunut oil was mentioned. Google it if you want to see it. I'm not going that route but wondered of anyone out there had heaed about it. Due to the lack of responses I would say not!

Nice signature! How old are you 15?

well bro, since you got me started now I could say a lot of sht but because this is a side for discussion chameleons and I actually was supporting you for asking a valuable question in the right place for asking what is good to use on a chameleon I gonna let it go :)

Cornelius1, were you grumpy yesterday, or is your sense of humor that far off the wall that NONE of us can understand it thru a post? I agree w/ leedragon that you asked a good question, we try to participate, and out of the blue you start mocking everyone? Shame on you. redline is a good guy and you take a stab at his child, leedragon is obviously passionate about his jackson, I comment to bump your thread back up to the top and hope that someone else will additionally chime in, and you respond like that. Come on.

I am a little scared to post on this thread...
Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with an SPF of 10 which means it would block UVB rays from your cham so I would not rub it on his skin. As for adding it to his gutload or on a prey item I do not know, but coconut oil is a fat, so I can't think of a benefit.

Cornelius1, were you grumpy yesterday, or is your sense of humor that far off the wall that NONE of us can understand it thru a post? I agree w/ leedragon that you asked a good question, we try to participate, and out of the blue you start mocking everyone? Shame on you. redline is a good guy and you take a stab at his child, leedragon is obviously passionate about his jackson, I comment to bump your thread back up to the top and hope that someone else will additionally chime in, and you respond like that. Come on.

I was NOT taking a stab at redlines kid. I can see how that could have been interpreted as that but was not my intention. I was referring to not having a pic of his cham that people typically post. All I was hoping for was people to respond in a mature way not give answers that are not beneficial to my post. If people do not know the answer to any post they should not comment or make comments that are not helpful in my opinion.

I am a little scared to post on this thread...
Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with an SPF of 10 which means it would block UVB rays from your cham so I would not rub it on his skin. As for adding it to his gutload or on a prey item I do not know, but coconut oil is a fat, so I can't think of a benefit.

Thank you FlChamMom that all I was asking for!

Back
Top Bottom