Coccidia

nurseekc

Hello, I have 2 veiled chameleons who have had coccidia. I am so happy to find out today that I was able to rid one of them of the parasites! The other is on another long round of Albon. I also have beardies who were treated for it too.
My veileds have had some other issues too but seem to be all improving slowly.
I love this website-just recently discovered it.

I would not recommend Albon for chameleons, my experience with it has been bad. Ask your vet for some Ponazuril, that is much safer.

Hi Welcome to the fourms this place is full of great info on all types of Chameleons! But that's great that one of ur chams got better. Chameleonsnorthwest have a med called Reptaid that really helps sick Chameleons out, CNW sells it good luck.

I take my reptiles to Lone Mountain animal hospital here in Vegas.

What are the symptoms caused by albon in chameleons? My beardies have been on it too. Plus Panacur before-is this ok? I read albon is hard on kidneys?

Albon is not as hard on dragons however it’s still VERY taxing on any reptile and I don’t recommend this medicine. Symptoms range from loss of appetite, weight loss, death, runny nose, closed eyes, ECT…

I would stop the albon, give them a week or so to recover of untill they are back to normal then start the Ponaluril.

I talked to Elliot from Chams Northwest recently. He stated that Rept Aid IS a very good treatment alternative for Coccidia. He stated it sometimes may take a cpl of rounds of the ten day treatments to completely rid the chams of all signs of the coccidia. Its a safer alternative to traditionally harsh drugs. Most of the traditional stuff is so hard on the chams kidneys and without proper water intake they can just crash. Rept Aid is all natural and isnt so hard on the animals. I'd get a bottle and do a ten day treatment and then check fecals and see if you need to do another 10 day cycle. Its also effective on beardeds also. Its a good metabolic boost for lethargic animals also.

Could the albon be causing the necrosis on her skin? The other now has a yellow spot & I'm crushed that she is apparently getting same. It's in the same spot as other one-which would go along with the theory of injection site causing it.
Ugh-this is all too much, tiki is also on an antibiotic orally & cream for skin issue plus a recommended antibiotic injection weekly.
Erin

Beardies always carry coccidia, it's almost always present, and gets worse with the cold (my vet sister tells me). They shed the bug (poop), and it becomes airborne. Then your cham gets it, you treat it, but it comes back. It's a cycle. Try keeping your chams and beardies in seperate rooms and see what happens. Solved the problem for me when it happened several years back.

Beardies always carry coccidia, it's almost always present, and gets worse with the cold (my vet sister tells me). They shed the bug (poop), and it becomes airborne. Then your cham gets it, you treat it, but it comes back. It's a cycle. Try keeping your chams and beardies in seperate rooms and see what happens. Solved the problem for me when it happened several years back.

I was under the impression from Dr. Alfonso that coccidia can't be transmitted through the air and that it's only transmitted through fecal contaminated touch. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I remember him telling me. I asked him about it in particular since we have our snakes in the same room as our coccidia positive chameleon. He said they wouldn't catch it from being in the same room and that they'd only catch it if we cross contaminated them with it by not having strict coccidia hygenie practices (i.e. not washing our hands/disposing of gloves after we mess with the chameleon stuff and then messing with the snakes). Just wanted to add my two cents in there.

Back
Top Bottom