Coccidia Chronicles

How’s Yoda doing? So sorry, sounds like a awful situation...

Just ordered our baby Naval bloodline from FL Chams... is this something I need to worry about?!?

How’s Yoda doing? So sorry, sounds like a awful situation...

Just ordered our baby Naval bloodline from FL Chams... is this something I need to worry about?!?

Yoda's very happy with his pothos and pooping in one spot which makes things easy for me. And other than the fecal results and early thermal burns he's in great shape overall. I'd say just get your cham to a vet for a check up and fecal soon. Hopefully it's not an issue for you but if it is it'll be easier to deal with sooner than later. Plus it's just always good to get a check up anyway.

The Naval sire looks sooo cool. Almost chose that bloodline myself!! Welcome to the forums.

The next fecal test for Yoda isn't til the first week of August. Hoping I get some good news then!

I saw Yoda drinking while being misted for the first time today! I think with the new setup, especially for the week where he didn't have fake or real vines, he's been getting a little dehydrated, so I also have hornworms on the way. Just something to be mindful of when you're going bare bones. The pothos trick @JacksJill shared has really done the trick for Yoda. Here are some fun recent pictures of him.

Out of the cage for his silvadene treatment for thermal burns.
IMG_20200718_124349.jpg

Pissy and hissy since I looked at him the wrong way while taking out his paper towels

IMG_20200720_090428.jpg

Sleeping peacefully among the pothos.

IMG_20200720_205235.jpg

I saw Yoda drinking while being misted for the first time today! I think with the new setup, especially for the week where he didn't have fake or real vines, he's been getting a little dehydrated, so I also have hornworms on the way. Just something to be mindful of when you're going bare bones. The pothos trick @JacksJill shared has really done the trick for Yoda. Here are some fun recent pictures of him.

Out of the cage for his silvadene treatment for thermal burns.
View attachment 272734

Pissy and hissy since I looked at him the wrong way while taking out his paper towels

View attachment 272735

Sleeping peacefully among the pothos.

View attachment 272736
He is looking great! burns are healing up really well too!

Yoda's very happy with his pothos and pooping in one spot which makes things easy for me. And other than the fecal results and early thermal burns he's in great shape overall. I'd say just get your cham to a vet for a check up and fecal soon. Hopefully it's not an issue for you but if it is it'll be easier to deal with sooner than later. Plus it's just always good to get a check up anyway.

The Naval sire looks sooo cool. Almost chose that bloodline myself!! Welcome to the forums.

The next fecal test for Yoda isn't til the first week of August. Hoping I get some good news then!
Thanks, we've been devouring ALL of the wealth of information here... The Naval babies just popped up on their site and we jumped on one, and no kidding, a minute latter stumbled on this thread. Have to say its got me nervous... As rookie keepers, we're just hoping things go smooth...

Glad to hear you and Yoda are working through it, sounds like you two might be in the home stretch!

Update: Coccidia is gone!!!

But Yoda's not totally out of the woods yet - he's got pinworms. Vet gave me panacur and said to clean out his enclosure again and keep him quarantined for 48 hours, then he could move into his new enclosure. He said reinfection for pinworms is much less and some folks don't even treat if the parasite count is low enough.

Thoughts? I did all this to prevent my new bioactive enclosure from getting infected and having to scrap it all. But pinworms definitely don't seem as intense as Coccidia.

Update: Coccidia is gone!!!

But Yoda's not totally out of the woods yet - he's got pinworms. Vet gave me panacur and said to clean out his enclosure again and keep him quarantined for 48 hours, then he could move into his new enclosure. He said reinfection for pinworms is much less and some folks don't even treat if the parasite count is low enough.

Thoughts? I did all this to prevent my new bioactive enclosure from getting infected and having to scrap it all. But pinworms definitely don't seem as intense as Coccidia.
Yayyyyyyyy and still yayyyyyyyyy! Pinworms are much more common and not a freak out situation like coccidia. Beman got them last year. I went ahead and treated him. But my vet said the same thing about not having to treat if the parasite load is low. I chose to go ahead and treat. but I also did not have bio active. I do not know a lot about them.

@Beman great news about the coccidia, right?? I really appreciate all the support and advice I got here. I think that helped prevent reinfection for sure. Did you have to replace or change your plants after giving the pinworm meds?

@Beman great news about the coccidia, right?? I really appreciate all the support and advice I got here. I think that helped prevent reinfection for sure. Did you have to replace or change your plants after giving the pinworm meds?
It is wonderful news hun! I just sprayed the heck out of mine with the hose lol. did a normal cleaning on the cage. washing the branches off etc.

After a brief quarantine post-Panacur for his pinworms, we moved Yoda into his new enclosure. ?

IMG_20200808_182609.jpg IMG_20200808_231733.jpg

Poor guy decided to sleep on the screen his first night.

Very glad to have both coccidia and crickets behind us. Thanks to everyone for the advice and support.

I love that you got your air plants to bloom!!! They are soooooo pretty! And little man looks to be settling in nicely!

Yes!! I've never had luck with plants like this before. That sansi led spotlight is legit.

Back
Top Bottom