Closing eyes

Hello, my 5-6 month old female veiled chameleon has been closing her eyes under her basking lamp today and yesterday. She seems to be awake but she closes her eyes for about a minute and she opens them when she "hears" someone move. She is also a strange stripped color. She just shed about a week ago and Monday she still had skin on her so I misted her slightly to try and loosen it. She still has skin on her arms and under her chin but not near her eyes. I am worried and I don't know what to do

Attachments

• 7B63E6E7-08C2-435B-9173-653FC40AB959.jpeg
    7B63E6E7-08C2-435B-9173-653FC40AB959.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 106
She has been eating okay but she has been quite moody the past few days, I thought that was because of her she'd but I am beginning to think it is something else

Your going to want to fill this out so you can be helped better. Just copy and paste the it fill it out

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
Jan 20, 2010

Info:

•Willow is a 5-6 month old female veiled chameleon. I am unsure of her exact age so it is an estimate. I am fairly certain she is a female, I included a picture of the back of her feet. I got her April 1st, 2021.

• I have only handled her twice, once when she got out of her cage and another when we moved houses. She doesn't like it when I try and pick her up from her cage so I don't try often.

•I feed her two super worms and two crickets a day. I dust the worms with calcium without d3, I can't dust the crickets or they die quicker. I feed the crickets spinach and carrots and the worms don't eat food when I put it in there. In the mornings I hand feed her one worm and put the other in a dish in her cage, I put the two crickets in at the same time.

•I use repti calcium without d3 daily

•I hand mist multiple times daily when I see her cage has dried out, I am saving up for an automatic mister since she cant currently get listed during the night.

•She has brown/black feces with off white urinates, she has never been tested for parasites.

• A few weeks ago her breathing was heavy and unusual but that has cleared up.

Cage info

•She has a 24x24x48 retibreeze mesh cage

•She has a white heat bulb and a 24 inch t5 ubv light

•Her temperature is usually between 70 and 80 degrees F and her basking area is around 80 degrees

•Her humidity ranges from 50-70 % in the day

•I use live plants, I have a pothos, umbrella plant, and two other I forget the name of but I know they are safe

•The cage is in a window, it is on the floor currently because I am in a complicated living situation but it is only temporary.

•I live in Ohio so the climate varies

Willow is currently closing her eyes on her basking branch. I don't think she is napping but she keeps them closed for a while and then opens them when she feels that someone is there. Her eyes move around when they are closed and she blinks hard.

Attachments

• E3A4FAB5-B1DB-4AD2-9E6F-64DC9F64726C.jpeg
    E3A4FAB5-B1DB-4AD2-9E6F-64DC9F64726C.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 97

Attachments

• 41185502-A9A5-4580-B868-08FD46937D0F.jpeg
    41185502-A9A5-4580-B868-08FD46937D0F.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 90
  • D9858897-3640-442E-A9A2-1D686165DAD6.jpeg
    D9858897-3640-442E-A9A2-1D686165DAD6.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 35507311-A5F7-4582-8940-799025A3A123.jpeg
    35507311-A5F7-4582-8940-799025A3A123.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 87
  • D218D8EC-C2B8-46B6-934F-B8ADB78189AD.jpeg
    D218D8EC-C2B8-46B6-934F-B8ADB78189AD.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 0763264F-96AF-4087-8D24-0BCFF61C3B5A.jpeg
    0763264F-96AF-4087-8D24-0BCFF61C3B5A.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 102E14E6-EA2B-4921-9AB5-478CECFC3512.jpeg
    102E14E6-EA2B-4921-9AB5-478CECFC3512.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 31C6F7A0-4FB1-43D4-8D8F-BAA11C0B6684.jpeg
    31C6F7A0-4FB1-43D4-8D8F-BAA11C0B6684.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 98
Looking at your photo you need to add more coverage. She might be feeling a little insecure with little area to hide. Here is an Example of one of my cage. Plz ignore my chameleon, he’s being a brat and wants to mate with my female right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 110
Looking at your photo you need to add more coverage. She might be feeling a little insecure with little area to hide. Here is an Example of one of my cage. Plz ignore my chameleon, he’s being a brat and wants to mate with my female right now.
It used to be a lot more full but all of my plants are dying, I'm not sure how to keep them alive and healthy

Hi, there, and welcome! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I've added helpful charts and links at the bottom, as well:

Info:

•Willow is a 5-6 month old female veiled chameleon. I am unsure of her exact age so it is an estimate. I am fairly certain she is a female, I included a picture of the back of her feet. I got her April 1st, 2021.

• I have only handled her twice, once when she got out of her cage and another when we moved houses. She doesn't like it when I try and pick her up from her cage so I don't try often.

•I feed her two super worms and two crickets a day. I dust the worms with calcium without d3, I can't dust the crickets or they die quicker. I feed the crickets spinach and carrots and the worms don't eat food when I put it in there. In the mornings I hand feed her one worm and put the other in a dish in her cage, I put the two crickets in at the same time. Superworms are treat feeders and shouldn't be used as staples. The spinach needs to get taken out immediately, as it binds calcium (and is high in oxalates, as well)! How do you keep your superworms and crickets? Crickets shouldn't be dying from getting supplement on them. How and when do you dust?

•I use repti calcium without d3 daily You also need a multivitamin and D3, too. Get the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3 and Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3. Once a week, you'll alternate between those two so each one is used once every two weeks

•I hand mist multiple times daily when I see her cage has dried out, I am saving up for an automatic mister since she cant currently get listed during the night. How long are the misting sessions?

•She has brown/black feces with off white urinates, she has never been tested for parasites.

• A few weeks ago her breathing was heavy and unusual but that has cleared up.

Cage info

•She has a 24x24x48 retibreeze mesh cage Her cage needs more branches of multiple species and diameters (just none from toxic or sap-producing trees), more veiled-tested plants, and more vines (preferably all live, just no Exo Terra, moss, or fake vines with leaves on them). What are the dimensions of her lay bin, and can it hold a tunnel without collapsing?

•She has a white heat bulb and a 24 inch t5 ubv light What is the age, strength, and brand of your UVB bulb, and how far away is it from her basking branch?

•Her temperature is usually between 70 and 80 degrees F and her basking area is around 80 degrees What are her nighttime temps, and how do you measure the temps?

•Her humidity ranges from 50-70 % in the day That is too high for a veiled. You want it between 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of that range, for during the day. If there is enough airflow and the temps are 65*F or lower, you can have 100% humidity at night.

•I use live plants, I have a pothos, umbrella plant, and two other I forget the name of but I know they are safe

•The cage is in a window, it is on the floor currently because I am in a complicated living situation but it is only temporary. Is the window energy-efficient or does it change the cage's temps, and can she see her reflection in the window?

•I live in Ohio so the climate varies

Willow is currently closing her eyes on her basking branch. I don't think she is napping but she keeps them closed for a while and then opens them when she feels that someone is there. Her eyes move around when they are closed and she blinks hard. Do you have an experienced chameleon vet near you? They'll be able to look at the eye and figure out what the problem is.

Links and Images:

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 83
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 86
  • Lay Bin Chart.jpeg
    Lay Bin Chart.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 87
Eye issues are not easy for us to figure out...it can be something in her eye like a piece of shed or something else... it can be infection... it can be irritation from the lights...it can be a nutrient imbalance, etc. However, from the squinting and shutting them like she does, there is likely something going on that will need attention from a vet.

This is all very helpful advice that I will definitely follow but does anyone know what's going on with her eyes?
I had asked a question above. Make sure you are scanning through your entire thread. You will only get alerts for the most recent comment.

Eye issues can be linked to quite a bit. With your husbandry not being spot on we are trying to get more info from you to narrow it down. @ERKleRose gave you feedback and asked you more questions.

This is not one of those "oh it is this moments" because it could be related to multiple things. Being way too close to the heat and the temps being much higher then you think, lack of proper supplementation, distance to branch under UVB being too far away, illness related to the breathing issues she was having (breathing issues can be associated with a respiratory infection), etc...

Back
Top Bottom