Closed eyes

Yes to both. I’m removing the substrate. Maybe she at some and that’s what’s causing all of these issues
It is not what is causing all the issues. The lack of UVB and correct supplementation along with the cage being less then what it should be for her is contributing.

But free feeding like that is dangerous when you have substrate like wood chips or reptile bark on the ground. They can eat a feeder sitting on it and then ingest the substrate causing impaction issues.

In addition to the care sheets/ resources on this forum, someone shared this with me on a previous post for Jackson's care: Care Sheet

Jackson's require lower day and night time temperatures than other species, with night time temperatures dropping into the 60s. The basking area can be ~80-85F during the day, but the rest of the cage should be in the 70s. In addition to the temperature drop, there should be an increase in humidity at night, up to 100%.

I'll put my suggestions in red
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Jackson’s Chameleon. We’ve had her for about a year
  • Handling - We Handel her about once every other week
  • Feeding - She eats 6-8 crickets every 2 days. They get dusted with calcium without vitamin d for every feeding and multivitamin once a month. She also gets meal worms or wax worms as a treat. She only needs calcium 3 days a week. The extra can slow her digestion and cause constipation and poor appetite etc. The Repashy LoD can be swapped in once every other week very lightly on about half of her daily feeders ASAP. I would swap the meal worms for superworms. Skip the wax worms for now. Concentrate on getting her to eat gut loaded crickets.
  • Watering - We use a drip system and I mist the cage 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - fecal has been slimy and brown with white droppings also. Haven’t seen in a couple days though.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - We have a 24 inch screen cage
  • Lighting - we have a uvb light and basking light Follow the light suggestions made above by others. Your light is probably no longer putting out UVB just light. Try getting her out in the sun for 20 minutes to an hour. Don't let her overheat early morning or later afternoon. See if this perks her up while you get better lights and a larger cage. Lights and supplement changes are your highest priority over cage size.
  • Temperature - The temp is usually about 81 during the day and around 70-75 at night Ok for basking temp during the day rather high at night dipping down into the 60's is better.
  • Humidity - humidity is around 45 to 60% at all times. We have a humidity gage Good for day but shoot for 80% at night I use a cool mist humidifier on mine to reach 80% or more.
  • Plants - are not live Live plants will help
  • Placement - cage is in a bedroom about 3 feet off the ground
  • Location - Bay Area California
Current Problem - keeping eyes closed all day. Not eating any crickets. She does drink and has been eating a couple meal worms today.

We were told by a reptile rescue to give one drop of beta carotene a day for a few days. Probably won't hurt but she needs some kind of D3 in small amount and less calcium to get back on track.

Well we got all the supplies needed to hopefully get this girl back on track. So far nothing has changed. Praying for a change tomorrow
Did you read through the post above with full husbandry feedback from our Jackson's expert?
Did you get her new UVB instead of the Coil screw in one? Live plants? Let us know what you got so we can make sure you were given the correct items.

Did you read through the post above with full husbandry feedback from our Jackson's expert?
Did you get her new UVB instead of the Coil screw in one? Live plants? Let us know what you got so we can make sure you were given the correct items.
So I had to get her a screw in light because everywhere I went was out of stock but this one is a 5.0 and I needed it ASAP. I have also been taking her outside for about 30 minutes. It’s been really smoky where I am at because of the fires so I don’t want her to get stressed. I am going to be ordering the other light in the meantime. And more plants and climbing branches have gone in. I have been dusting everything with the calcium with vitamin d and waiting for her to eat. I think she has eaten 2 crickets so far because I only see 3 now.

So I had to get her a screw in light because everywhere I went was out of stock but this one is a 5.0 and I needed it ASAP. I have also been taking her outside for about 30 minutes. It’s been really smoky where I am at because of the fires so I don’t want her to get stressed. I am going to be ordering the other light in the meantime. And more plants and climbing branches have gone in. I have been dusting everything with the calcium with vitamin d and waiting for her to eat. I think she has eaten 2 crickets so far because I only see 3 now.
So this bulb will produce virtually nothing... remember they still get uvb in the shade outside so do not expose her to high temps in the sun.

Did you get live plants?

They have reduced supplementation needs if you over do it on supplements this will kill her. Did you get the repashy LoD to use?
This was the feedback given to you by jacksjill above and what you want to follow for supplementation:
She only needs calcium 3 days a week. The extra can slow her digestion and cause constipation and poor appetite etc. The Repashy LoD can be swapped in once every other week very lightly on about half of her daily feeders ASAP. I would swap the meal worms for superworms. Skip the wax worms for now. Concentrate on getting her to eat gut loaded crickets.

So this bulb will produce virtually nothing... remember they still get uvb in the shade outside so do not expose her to high temps in the sun.

Did you get live plants?

They have reduced supplementation needs if you over do it on supplements this will kill her. Did you get the repashy LoD to use?
This was the feedback given to you by jacksjill above and what you want to follow for supplementation:
She only needs calcium 3 days a week. The extra can slow her digestion and cause constipation and poor appetite etc. The Repashy LoD can be swapped in once every other week very lightly on about half of her daily feeders ASAP. I would swap the meal worms for superworms. Skip the wax worms for now. Concentrate on getting her to eat gut loaded crickets.

In addition to everything that Beman said, are you cup feeding or free range feeding?

Thank you everyone for all the advice given. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately this girl didn’t survive. We are all sad but have defiantly learned a tremendous amount about these beautiful little guys. Hopefully we’ll be able to get another little friend in the future.

I'm sorry for your loss ?

Thank you everyone for all the advice given. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately this girl didn’t survive. We are all sad but have defiantly learned a tremendous amount about these beautiful little guys. Hopefully we’ll be able to get another little friend in the future.
I am sorry for your loss. Should you decide to get another cham in the future. Please make sure you strip that cage down and clean it thoroughly. Toss vines in case there was a parasite issue. And I strongly urge you to read through the husbandry program at this site prior. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom