Closed eyes

Hello all! I’m new here so please no judging. I have a female Jackson’s who recently has been keeping her eyes shut most of the day. She’s been drinking and is still her normal light green color. She hasn’t eaten crickets in a few days but has eaten some meal worms. I was told to give her beta carotene. And have been giving her one drop a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, please fill out the husbandry form so we can get a better sense of what's going on. The more detail the better, and photos are also very helpful. Who told you to give her beta carotene?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there, please fill out the husbandry form so we can get a better sense of what's going on. The more detail the better, and photos are also very helpful. Who told you to give her beta carotene?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Jackson’s Chameleon. We’ve had her for about a year
  • Handling - We Handel her about once every other week
  • Feeding - She eats 6-8 crickets every 2 days. They get dusted with calcium without vitamin d for every feeding and multivitamin once a month. She also gets meal worms or wax worms as a treat.
  • Watering - We use a drip system and I mist the cage 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - fecal has been slimy and brown with white droppings also. Haven’t seen in a couple days though.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - We have a 24 inch screen cage
  • Lighting - we have a uvb light and basking light
  • Temperature - The temp is usually about 81 during the day and around 70-75 at night
  • Humidity - humidity is around 45 to 60% at all times. We have a humidity gage
  • Plants - are not live
  • Placement - cage is in a bedroom about 3 feet off the ground
  • Location - Bay Area California
Current Problem - keeping eyes closed all day. Not eating any crickets. She does drink and has been eating a couple meal worms today.

We were told by a reptile rescue to give one drop of beta carotene a day for a few days.
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

--------------

Please Note:
[/QUOTE]

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Jackson’s Chameleon. We’ve had her for about a year
  • Handling - We Handel her about once every other week
  • Feeding - She eats 6-8 crickets every 2 days. They get dusted with calcium without vitamin d for every feeding and multivitamin once a month. She also gets meal worms or wax worms as a treat.
  • Watering - We use a drip system and I mist the cage 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - fecal has been slimy and brown with white droppings also. Haven’t seen in a couple days though.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - We have a 24 inch screen cage
  • Lighting - we have a uvb light and basking light
  • Temperature - The temp is usually about 81 during the day and around 70-75 at night
  • Humidity - humidity is around 45 to 60% at all times. We have a humidity gage
  • Plants - are not live
  • Placement - cage is in a bedroom about 3 feet off the ground
  • Location - Bay Area California
Current Problem - keeping eyes closed all day. Not eating any crickets. She does drink and has been eating a couple meal worms today.

We were told by a reptile rescue to give one drop of beta carotene a day for a few days.
--------------

Please Note:

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

--------------

Please Note:
[/QUOTE]

Here are some pictures of our set up. Hope you can help. I’m very worried about her

Attachments

• B6BEF2A4-D35B-4036-A28F-EAFA46EC7769.jpeg
    B6BEF2A4-D35B-4036-A28F-EAFA46EC7769.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 37A2E5CF-4806-43FA-A270-059B22A877B2.jpeg
    37A2E5CF-4806-43FA-A270-059B22A877B2.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 4A8710F0-42ED-4FDA-A1A5-2AD9ACFC4044.jpeg
    4A8710F0-42ED-4FDA-A1A5-2AD9ACFC4044.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 108
Hi. I can’t help you with any specifics about Jackson’s, but I can tell you that your uvb is incorrect and you need to make some changes to her enclosure.
The coil screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate uvb levels. You need a linear T5HO with a 5.0 bulb.
Is she getting any vitamin D3?
No idea what the minimum enclosure size if for a Jackson’s, but that appears too small for her. I would give much more space with a 2x2x4’ enclosure. It’s also quite bare. She needs more little roads to travel...add lots more branches and vines. Live plants are also needed. Pothos is a favorite as it’s easy to grow, low light requirements, fast growing vines to add more cham roads, big leaves to hide under and drink from. This will help. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
That’s also a fantastic site to explore and learn more about keeping your chameleon. There is a section on Jackson’s husbandry. Hope this helps a bit.

@JacksJill @Beman @kinyonga would one of you be able to chime in and comment on the form and photos posted?

Based on those photos she looks very unwell, very skinny and appears dehydrated. I think I see some stuck shed as well. Do you have a vet you can take her to that has experience with chameleons?

@MissSkittles is correct that there are some husbandry errors that will need to be corrected going forward.

Here are some pictures of our set up. Hope you can help. I’m very worried about her

As already stated you have to get a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb asap. This is a linear fixture for uvb not the screw in bulb. She is not getting the correct UVB. And you need live plants for her.

Does the multivitamin have calcium with D3 in it? What brand specifically are you using?

Here is an info link that will help you with other husbandry questions. please review it https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

the multivitamin does not have d3 in it
You need to buy Repashy Calcium plus LoD for her for the multivitamin.... This should be given two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. This can be ordered online. She is most certainly dealing with being UVB deficient... and I am sure she has MBD from the lack of proper UVB lighting. You need new uvb lighting like today. You can get a T8 fixture with a 10.0 bulb if that is all they have at the store or T5ho with a 5.0 bulb. And you need plants today... Go to lowes and look for plants. You need one that will take up space in that enclosure. I would look at getting one of the centerpiece plants from this link https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

You need to buy Repashy Calcium plus LoD for her for the multivitamin.... This should be given two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. This can be ordered online. She is most certainly dealing with being UVB deficient... and I am sure she has MBD from the lack of proper UVB lighting. You need new uvb lighting like today. You can get a T8 fixture with a 10.0 bulb if that is all they have at the store or T5ho with a 5.0 bulb. And you need plants today... Go to lowes and look for plants. You need one that will take up space in that enclosure. I would look at getting one of the centerpiece plants from this link https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Will she survive as long as these changes are made

I do have a calcium with D 3 also will that help. And I can get the light
The recommended supplement for them is Repashy Calcium Plus LoD version 2 times a month and then Calcium without D3 at all other feedings.. this is the one that Jacksons keepers use. With them being a montane species their supplements have to be very lightly dusted. They can suffer over supplementation easier then other chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom