Clear Compaction

Hakai

My baby ambilobe is not eating as much as he should. I think he's only eating like 2-4 of the 10 crickets I put in there. I did catch him eating (or trying to) the jungle vine I have in there. A piece was falling off where I bent it. I think he might be compacted. Is there a feeder or something that helps clear this up?

k thanks alot. Do you know if local pet stores carry those?

unfortunately from my experience in my area no local petstores carry hornworms or silkworms. You usually have to get them online, another great place to get them though is reptile shows, if you have any upcoming reptile shows within like 50 miles you can usually get them for $8-10 a bucket at the shows (at least in my area).

also if you were to order them, and wanted them ASAP, I would highly recommend ordering them today, as most places only ship mon-wed, so if it doesn't ship by tomorrow morning, you wont get them by this weekend, and instead you probably wouldn't get them until mid week next week.

unfortunately from my experience in my area no local petstores carry hornworms or silkworms. You usually have to get them online, another great place to get them though is reptile shows, if you have any upcoming reptile shows within like 50 miles you can usually get them for $8-10 a bucket at the shows (at least in my area).

also if you were to order them, and wanted them ASAP, I would highly recommend ordering them today, as most places only ship mon-wed, so if it doesn't ship by tomorrow morning, you wont get them by this weekend, and instead you probably wouldn't get them until mid week next week.

Thanks so much. The closest reptile show from me is about a 1 hour 30 min drive, and with all the tolls and gas, it wouldn't be worth it. So I guess my best option is ordering online. Are either of those better than the other as far as clearing out their system goes? Horn or Silk?

Thanks so much. The closest reptile show from me is about a 1 hour 30 min drive, and with all the tolls and gas, it wouldn't be worth it. So I guess my best option is ordering online. Are either of those better than the other as far as clearing out their system goes? Horn or Silk?

well I would say it depends on size of your chameleon also, and size of worm you plan on getting.

If you haven't seen them in person, a full size horn worm is a good 4-5 times as big as a full size silk worm. but when your order them online they usually come in no where near that big (for both) usually the biggest you can buy online is about half the size they will get full grown (for both). I have fed both, to many types of reptiles over the years, and for the most part they are very similar other than size. I would lean towards the horn worms though, just because of their size, and hardiness. But either one will be full of hydration which will help your main issue.

well I would say it depends on size of your chameleon also, and size of worm you plan on getting.

If you haven't seen them in person, a full size horn worm is a good 4-5 times as big as a full size silk worm. but when your order them online they usually come in no where near that big (for both) usually the biggest you can buy online is about half the size they will get full grown (for both). I have fed both, to many types of reptiles over the years, and for the most part they are very similar other than size. I would lean towards the horn worms though, just because of their size, and hardiness. But either one will be full of hydration which will help your main issue.

Okay, I'll go with horn worms then. He is a tiny 5 month old ambilobe. About 4 inches from head to vent.

Try misting him with warm water. My chams always go when I do that. Btw it is called impaction not compaction!::)

Okay, I'll go with horn worms then. He is a tiny 5 month old ambilobe. About 4 inches from head to vent.

if hes that small I may go with silk worms, and if you get horn worms I would go with small ones, if you get medium to large hornworms they may be to large for him to eat.

Back
Top Bottom