Cleaning plants after death

Charleneshear

I took in a sick abandoned chameleon whose husbandry was very poor and unfortunately it died before I could get an appointment to the vet (it died a few days after I took it) so I'm not sure what exaxtly was wrong with it. I had some pathos and a few other plants in her enclosure. Is there any way I can wash them and safely reuse them in another chameleon enclosure or do I just need to throw them away and start over?

Personally I would not risk using the plants with another chameleon. Not all parasites are the same. If the cham died of parasites and say it had coccidia you can not easily kill the oocysts of this parasite. You have to strip a cage and toss all the porous items. The rest gets cleaned with 40 volume liquid peroxide sitting on the surfaces for 15 minutes then rinsed extremely well. This is one of the worst parasites to deal with.... It can easily live on surfaces for 2 years. Say the cham had this and then you put another cham in the cage. It drinks from a surface that had fecal on it from the old cham. The new cham has now infected itself with the parasite.

Back
Top Bottom