Cleaning Live Plants possible?

theresaintucson

Two of my chams has tested positive for coccidia. :( I'm doing the recommended cage sanitizing.
My question is can I successfully clean my live plants (pothos, schefflera) and keep them? Or should I just play it safe and toss them all? Sadly, I have lots of real plants that I paid quite a bit for
Of course I'll bite the bullet and toss them if that's what is the best for my chams.
Wish me luck beating this. TIA

Two of my chams has tested positive for coccidia. :( I'm doing the recommended cage sanitizing.
My question is can I successfully clean my live plants (pothos, schefflera) and keep them? Or should I just play it safe and toss them all? Sadly, I have lots of real plants that I paid quite a bit for
Of course I'll bite the bullet and toss them if that's what is the best for my chams.
Wish me luck beating this. TIA

Hey Theresa, you can wash them but you will want to wait until after treatment. The easiest and my preferred method is to replace the plants but you can soap and rinse them pretty well.

With the soap you can leave it on for quite some time to make sure it has killed or works whatever is on the plant loose. A really good rinse is required afterword. I use antibacterial soap

You can also spray them down with hydrogen peroxide or even bleach solution. As long as you rinse them fairly quickly the plant should be fine. You will want to replace the soil and pot if you can.

As a final step leave them out in direct sunlight to dry the leaves. It will dry out what ever is left if anything.

What are you treating the chams with?

Wish me luck beating this. TIA[/QUOTE

Not to sure what coccidia is I'm guessing some sort of parasite:confused:? Would rinsing them off in the shower work? I don't think it wise to use anything else on them then reintroduce back to the cage.

Back
Top Bottom