cleaning How Often????

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
so i am just curious how often people do a compleat tare down and cleaning. I pick up all the poo the day its done. as well as any dead crickets or debris. I have done a compleat tear down about once a month so far and scrubbed eveything down with vinegar and water. any opinions???????

thx hoj & Camo

Every cage gets taken outside 2x a month and hosed down and cleaned with either bleach or peroxide. Spot cleaning is done daily or every other day.

I do it every two weeks to a month. I use a bleach solution. I dont disassemble the cages but I do scrub them down and put them in the shower to rinse them off if it is winter and I cant do it outside.

IMO, this is when you hold your animal. Not for your pleasure but to do a check over of the animal. I will also snap pics, give them a "shower" etc. It minimizes stress to 30 minutes every 2 to 4 weeks. Much better than pestering them every day.

I do it every two weeks to a month. I use a bleach solution. I dont disassemble the cages but I do scrub them down and put them in the shower to rinse them off if it is winter and I cant do it outside.

IMO, this is when you hold your animal. Not for your pleasure but to do a check over of the animal. I will also snap pics, give them a "shower" etc. It minimizes stress to 30 minutes every 2 to 4 weeks. Much better than pestering them every day.

Totally agree w/everything Jared said. This is the perfect oppurtunity for handling, showering, pics, or weighing. My guys/gals get a nice long shower while I clean.

i would agree with never purposely stress any animal out and chams are not normally social but my little Camo loves people. every other day or so he will run right over to my hand when i goto put feeders in and go up my arm and sit on my head or shoulder for abit then if he sees my GF beside me he will go see her for abit hes silly. he even was headed over to my 130lb rottweilier one day but i wasnt chancing that one.

about the shower how do u go about this, and my guy hate water for the most part just so u know.

I put a big pothos on a stool in the shower and let the warm (not hot) water bounce off the wall onto the plant. My little carpet I just got wouldn't drink in her cage for a few days but drank immediately when I put her on the plant! And for a long time. She apparently likes to have water hit her, as opposed to all my other chams.

I too clean my cages about every 2 weeks. I spot clean any time it needs it, but I don't have real plants in any of my cages and they're screen so they don't get very dirty. I keep that really thin reptile carpet stuff on the bottom because I don't like the bare bottom look. I'll probably get crap for that... Whenever they get soaked I wring them out. Other than that they dry out between mistings/watering completely but I still take them out and wash them every two weeks. When I do that I wipe down the bottom with some 409 (don't keep bleach around). Everything still looks shiny when I clean and I've never had buildup of everything.

Ferritinmyshoes is right about the shower. Put a plant in the tub, direct the shower head to bounce of the wall and then back to the plant so it doesnt blast the animal. Use warm water not hot or cold. However, I would also like to add. If you have a pump sprayer you can save tons of water by fashioning it to the top of the shower curtain to lightly spray down on your chams. This is how I do it. Just imagine the 15 or 20 minutes it takes for a 1 gallon pump sprayer to empty how much water would have come out of the shower!!!

Back
Top Bottom