Cleaning feeder cage

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
I was curious on your guys thoughts on how often do you feed your feeders. I been feeding them once a week then I clean cage and give them fresh food.

I give my feeders fresh food every other day. It never looks like the foods been touched. I don’t know if they’re eating or not. I have seen my crickets in their food but never the roaches.

I give my feeders fresh food every other day. It never looks like the foods been touched. I don’t know if they’re eating or not. I have seen my crickets in their food but never the roaches.
Roaches are primarily nocturnal and photophobic; they may only eat at night. 🤷‍♂️

Depends on the feeder, how many feeders you have, and what season it is! I feed my roaches every 3 days because that's when I feed my Vieled. By the 3rd day there's very few scraps of food left and they swarm on the new food. It took me a while to figure out the right amount of food. Too much, it got moldy. Too little, I needed to feed more than every 3 days. In the winter they eat less because they're not reproducing because it's colder in my mud room. Experiment a bit and see what works for your situation.

I don't really clean my roach bins bc they're bioactive and have tons of isopods at this point, but I will replenish the soil, moisture, and egg crates as needed.

I do give my baby silkworms new chow every day and remove the crustiest oldest chow dollops. Raising them from eggs is a new scenario for me so just trying to be diligent there to prevent die offs.

The food I put in the Dubia bin doesn’t even look like it’s been nibbled on. My house is 65 at night and about 68 during the day. Would that be the problem? They’re not dying off except maybe 1 or 2 every couple weeks and I have at least one HUGE roach in there that has to have grown that big because I buy them small to medium. I guess they must be eating some.

The food I put in the Dubia bin doesn’t even look like it’s been nibbled on. My house is 65 at night and about 68 during the day. Would that be the problem?
Might be! That's chilly side for them. About how many dubias do you have? What are you feeding them specifically?

The food I put in the Dubia bin doesn’t even look like it’s been nibbled on. My house is 65 at night and about 68 during the day. Would that be the problem?
I wouldn't think so; our house is about the same, and the dubias go through their food every few days.
IDK if it matters, but I feed them more root veggies, and no leafy stuff because it just wilts & adds too much moisture (attracting phorid flies) and they don't eat it anyway. 🤷‍♂️

I have 20-30 of them. I feed arugula, spring mix, apple, squash, sweet potato, red bell pepper and a dry ground up powder that is also all veggies that I got from a member here.

I have 20-30 of them. I feed arugula, spring mix, apple, squash, sweet potato, red bell pepper and a dry ground up powder that is also all veggies that I got from a member here.
Great food choices! Maybe they are eating the powder first. Mine like to do that. You could try withholding the powder to test that hypothesis. They do eat when it's chilly but they eat more when it's hot - in the 90s they go through more bc of reproduction.

I have with held the powder, makes no difference. It never looks like any of the powder is gone either. They have to be eating if they are surviving, just must be minut amounts

I have with held the powder, makes no difference. It never looks like any of the powder is gone either. They have to be eating if they are surviving, just must be minut amounts

Could be! Do you see their poop? Roaches, especially adults, can go a long time (like a month) without food especially if they have moisture.

It is definitely cooler than they prefer but they will be ok. One thing my roaches go berserk for is oranges. Don't do much with greens or other veg. The young ones love bug burger (prepared moist) but older ones won't touch it (they are in 2 separate bins, I am not watching them all day LOL)

Back
Top Bottom