Cleaning enclosure?

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
If you cham is in cage, what chemical would you use to clean bottom of bare bottom cage? I guess you could take Cham out and take cage outside and use diluted bleach? Some of you have all these plants in your cages.

Dawn soap and water mixture on paper towels works just as well do to a simple wipe out of the bottom panel. Then wipe back off with dry paper towels. Not toxic and the cham can stay in the cage while you do it.

I have plants in my cage. I spot clean plants by just using warm water on a paper towel to remove any fecal matter. But I also spot clean every day so there is not dried fecal every where.

Don’t use bleach with reptiles. If you need to sterilize you can use vinegar.
Yes, I've heard a 50/50 solution of vinegar & water works. I'm sensitive to the smell, so I've been using Nature's Miracle in my beardie enclosure, and planned on doing the same with the chameleon.
For spot cleaning, I just make sure the lizard isn't in contact, and for general cleaning & disinfecting, I take him out for a few minutes.

Yes, I've heard a 50/50 solution of vinegar & water works. I'm sensitive to the smell, so I've been using Nature's Miracle in my beardie enclosure, and planned on doing the same with the chameleon.
For spot cleaning, I just make sure the lizard isn't in contact, and for general cleaning & disinfecting, I take him out for a few minutes.

Nature's Miracle might be a good choice. My wife is allergic to vinegar, so something else would be nice.

Nature's Miracle might be a good choice. My wife is allergic to vinegar, so something else would be nice.
Sorry to keep referring to my dragon (misguided or not, it was my stepping stone to the Grail—a panther chameleon :) ). Dragons are known for their uh... stank. My Missus is more sensitive than I in that, and after 7+ months of having this enclosure in the fam. rm., she can stick her head in and detect no "dragon stank" whatsoever. She's even taken to chilling with him on her lap (a HUGE milestone for her and reptiles :LOL:).

So that's my testimony for the stuff. If it can kill dragon stank, it should be able to kill anything a cham can ? out!

Here is a link to one of a 4 part blog entry on cage cleaning and cleaner options
sanitation-its-sexier-than-you-think-part-1
I haven't gotten through the whole blog yet. When I came to:
No matter what products you use, read and follow the manufacturers directions and pay special attention to the warnings. Used incorrectly they could harm you or your pets.
I stopped so I wouldn't forget....
With this Nature's Miracle product (link above), a lot of the warnings are hidden away on the back of the peel-off label. The way some of the sales hype is worded could (IMO) be construed to mean the stuff is completely harmless to animals under all circumstances. It's not. It's harmless when dry, but (common sense should tell one) don't let an animal come in contact with the product when wet.

In practice, I haven't found this to be a big deal. For spot-cleaning, after picking up the ? I spritz the spot, let it sit for a couple minutes, then wipe dry. FINIS. If I have to let it sit longer than I can stand there, I put some paper towel over the wet spot to keep his nibs from traipsing through it, then wipe it up (or let it dry).

I've reccommended Natures Miracle for years for people dealing with cat and dog odors. It makes sense that it would help with any fecal or urate odors in other pets.
Yes, read and follow directions is always important.

I've reccommended Natures Miracle for years for people dealing with cat and dog odors. It makes sense that it would help with any fecal or urate odors in other pets.
Yes, read and follow directions is always important.
We've used it for (close to) 40 years for our dogs (and 1 cat). It was the first thing I thought of when setting up for his nibs, so I checked the site to see if they had a product for reptiles.

I know it's basically an enzymatic cleaner. I don't know fer sure if the small animal stuff is exactly the same as dog & cat stuff or not, but just in case, I bought a bottle. At the time I bought the first one, there was an image of a lizard along with other small animals in the marketing. This image has since disappeared. I saw something on one of the big-box retailer's sites that suggested that NM may be working on a reptile-specific product, but I've seen nothing since, and their site search reveals nothing.

Nevertheless, I've been using it daily (I'm still on the original bottle) and it works great.

Now that I'm familiar with the ? habits of dragons, I expect I'll be learning the ? habits & practices of chameleons. Oh, goodie. Can't wait. Be still, my heart. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom