Cleaning Enclosure and Plants w/ chemicals for Coccidia

Hi guys, I am going to be cleaning my chams cage as well as plants tomorrow to rid it of coccidia. I heard of peroxide being used, but what type exactly is best? For the plants, I was going to buy new pothos and ficus or schefflera, clean them up really well with dish soap, rinse them, and repot in organic soil (does it need to be soil without fertilizers?).

So my main question, does this sound alright? More specifically, what type of peroxide should I use for spraying the cage down with? I've also heard of being using ammonia possibly. What is the best option? Thanks for any input,

-Li

There is no such thing as a different kind of peroxide, hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen peroxide. There are different percentages of it because they have to be deluded in water (I think over 20 percent is illegal or something). Pretty much any strength would work. I wouldn't use ammonia.

Also no fertilizer UNLESS it is natural worm fertilizer (I would recommend this to anyone, red wigglers are the best) and I think you can use organic fertilizer like Jobes Vegetable & Tomato fertilizer (the gritty green fertilizer that looks like fish food pellets).

Hi guys, I am going to be cleaning my chams cage as well as plants tomorrow to rid it of coccidia. I heard of peroxide being used, but what type exactly is best? For the plants, I was going to buy new pothos and ficus or schefflera, clean them up really well with dish soap, rinse them, and repot in organic soil (does it need to be soil without fertilizers?).

So my main question, does this sound alright? More specifically, what type of peroxide should I use for spraying the cage down with? I've also heard of being using ammonia possibly. What is the best option? Thanks for any input,

-Li

You need the liquid peroxide from a beauty supply store such as Sally's.

This is what you want to use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TP1IZDE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Personally I would eliminate live plants and either use plastic plants or no plants until you eliminate the coccidia.

If I dont use plants, then what do I use? I always thought plants were important. And real ones seemed to be best but apparently they're no good. Id like to continue using real ones, but if they are a serious threat, then why were real plants ever an option for a cham enclosure?

If I dont use plants, then what do I use? I always thought plants were important. And real ones seemed to be best but apparently they're no good. Id like to continue using real ones, but if they are a serious threat, then why were real plants ever an option for a cham enclosure?

I would use plastic plant or just branches/vines until you are sure you have got rid of the coccidia. That way you can pull everything out and clean the cage, plastic plants and stuff with the peroxide so you don't reinfect chameleon. Then when you're sure he is rid of parasites you can get a new live plant to put back in there.

Of course live plants are good. But like any living thing they bring in microorganisms. The point is to monitor what your cham picks up on a regular basis and treat it IF NECESSARY. You are never going to create a completely sterile situation for your cham and you don't need to. If you find that your cham has a parasite problem (most can handle some level of parasites...they all have a few because their feeders carry them), find out what it is and treat for that specifically. If your cham is otherwise healthy treatment should be simple and knock any parasite load back to a manageable level. When you treat the cham take the cage setup apart and clean it too, replace the plants' soil just in case. Then you can set everything up again.

Back
Top Bottom