Cleaning a glass enclosure.

mjhandy

For those using a full glass enclosure, how are you cleaning them? We're in the process of getting one set up, and i'm not worried about cleaning it now with some windex, as we're not getting the Cham for a bit, but when it's up and running we do want to keep the glass as clean as possible.

Any idea?

Daily cleaning is pretty simple. I wipe any moisture from the bottom with a few paper towels. The glass doors I clean with Windex product but am sure to it dry completely before closing them. I use distilled water for misting, so I have little to no water spots.

My current setup is relatively new, but I've used this terrarium in the past and what I do is do a complete tear down and clean. EVERYTHING comes out.

Here's my process:
I used about an entire roll of paper towels for this process. A squeegee to help clean the glass quickly is a BIG help. Bought one at Walmart for a few bucks.

The outside is simply cleaned with Windex.

Everything is allowed to dry and then reassembled. The terrarium looks like new every time.

Not sure if this is all appropriate, so take my process with a grain of salt. ;) Never have your cham in the terrarium if you can smell any cleaning supplies!!! (The Flukers and F10SC have a pleasant clean scent that is safe.)

Last edited:
I have the best luck getting the glass clean without streaks by using a microfiber cloth with r.o. or distilled water.

Broderp said..."the glass doors I clean with a Windex product but am sure to it dry completely before closing them"...how do you ensure the chameleon doesn't lick any residue off if he licks the drops of water off the glass later when you mist the cage?

Daily cleaning is pretty simple. I wipe any moisture from the bottom with a few paper towels. The glass doors I clean with Windex product but am sure to it dry completely before closing them. I use distilled water for misting, so I have little to no water spots.

My current setup is relatively new, but I've used this terrarium in the past and what I do is do a complete tear down and clean. EVERYTHING comes out.

Here's my process:
I used about an entire roll of paper towels for this process. A squeegee to help clean the glass quickly is a BIG help. Bought one at Walmart for a few bucks.

The outside is simply cleaned with Windex.

Everything is allowed to dry and then reassembled. The terrarium looks like new every time.

Not sure if this is all appropriate, so take my process with a grain of salt. ;) Never have your cham in the terrarium if you can smell any cleaning supplies!!! (The Flukers and F10SC have a pleasant clean scent that is safe.)

Thank You.

The product links are great.

Cheers!

For my glass terrariums, I spray the inside glass with a mixture of white vinegar and hot water and then scrap the glass with a glass scraper to remove any buildup. I then rinse it with normal water and wipe it down. Works very well on the inside and no toxic chemicals.

Chris

Broderp said..."the glass doors I clean with a Windex product but am sure to it dry completely before closing them"...how do you ensure the chameleon doesn't lick any residue off if he licks the drops of water off the glass later when you mist the cage?

That sir is a very good question.:oops: I will admit I never thought of it, and saying that my Cham has never licked the glass is not good enough. I made an assumption that when it evaporated and was streak free and I felt no residue, smelled nothing and the glass felt smooth but not slick that it left no residue. I don't use any type with ammonia but that may not make a difference.

Since you posted, I researched it and could not find anything conclusive that stated Windex was residual free, and nothing regarding the safety concern to pets other than direct ingestion (in quantity) by large pets such as dogs or cats.

Do you feel my wash and rinse procedure is adequate otherwise?

THANK YOU Kinyonga for bringing this to my attention in a professional and courteous manor. I hope the OP reads this and ignores my comments about Windex. I myself will need to find another product (for the final cleaning of glass inside my terrarium).

I wondered about Windex myself. We'll start with vinegar and water, as per Chris' suggestion. With the 3 dogs and 3 cats, there is always something to clean :)

Chris gave everyone a good option.

I've had issues with that method, leaves streaks on glass. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not holding my breath. I was probably doing it wrong..:rolleyes:

This perplexes me. I'm not sold, but intrigued. What makes these so special I ask myself. These would be a better value if they are nothing more than microfiber towels:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Microfi..._rd_wg=cEyiF&refRID=0PKFD1Q7QJFZTWWJT4C4&th=1

Perhaps some microfiber towels and vinegar and water will suffice. Sounds like a plan..(y)

I've had issues with that method, leaves streaks on glass. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not holding my breath. I was probably doing it wrong..:rolleyes:

This perplexes me. I'm not sold, but intrigued. What makes these so special I ask myself. These would be a better value if they are nothing more than microfiber towels:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Microfi..._rd_wg=cEyiF&refRID=0PKFD1Q7QJFZTWWJT4C4&th=1

Perhaps some microfiber towels and vinegar and water will suffice. Sounds like a plan..(y)

Those are not the same thing. They do not include the ultra fine cloths that are intended for the final cleaning which is the last step that leaves the glass streak free. I'm not sure why you would want to use vinegar for this final step, and with cloths that are specifically designed to not need chemicals!!! I'm not claiming that the link I provided is the absolute best value anywhere - those are just the ones that worked very well for me.

The streaks result from residue left over from a cleaning fluid and/or a cloth's inability to fully remove them. The microfine structure of these cloths is what gives them the ability to mechanically remove the streaks 100 percent, and it also eliminates the need for chemicals so you can use something like distilled water which won't add to the streaking problem. These are best used for the final cleaning process.

Last edited:
What about hard water stains on the inside of the tank? What can I use to get rid of that with out removing my Cham?

You hear about the backlash against glass cages, and I've never seen or felt that here. Thanks everyone!

You hear about the backlash against glass cages, and I've never seen or felt that here. Thanks everyone!

Backlash? Its a debate as old as many others. Just know that there is a big difference between a terrarium and tank. (one is for fish ;)) but some "old timers" have kept them in tanks back in the day , but it was difficult due to the limitations. Each has a purpose based on the owners needs.

I often think a mesh cage will be harder to clean. What those with glass can wipe or scrub off build up. Screens collect in this same stuff in the openings and you can't easily take a razor blade to clean out all those opening. Glass IMO looks much better too. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom