Cleaner bugs in bioactive

Gbeats

How many bugs and what type do you suggest for a 16x16, 12" deep pot. I have recently potted all my plants into this one pot and included a drainage layer. Now I want to add the isopods/springtails ..just can't find anywhere that says what a good amount per volume soil is. TIA

Attachments

• 15568227926862689530301011656506.jpg
    15568227926862689530301011656506.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 180
There's no real "best number" of microfauna for bioactive. It depends on your enclosure, what species of isopod you choose, etc etc. If you pick a fast-breeding isopod (like dwarf whites), then you won't need as many to seed the pot. If you choose slower breeders like giant canyons, clowns, etc., then you will need more. I think you would be fine with just one container of springtails and maybe 1 or 2 containers of isopods (assuming ~12 isopods per).

This is just a suggestion, though. As long as the conditions are right, they will proliferate

There's no real "best number" of microfauna for bioactive. It depends on your enclosure, what species of isopod you choose, etc etc. If you pick a fast-breeding isopod (like dwarf whites), then you won't need as many to seed the pot. If you choose slower breeders like giant canyons, clowns, etc., then you will need more. I think you would be fine with just one container of springtails and maybe 1 or 2 containers of isopods (assuming ~12 isopods per).

This is just a suggestion, though. As long as the conditions are right, they will proliferate

Not just saying this because I have them for sale, I swear lol, but giant canyons breed extremely fast. They also get large enough to eat waste efficiently, but are not aggressive at the same time. I'm very pleased with them. To seed a substrate you just need like a cup of springtails and a dozen or so(up to you) adult isopods and they'll spread like wildfire within a month.

Not just saying this because I have them for sale, I swear lol, but giant canyons breed extremely fast. They also get large enough to eat waste efficiently, but are not aggressive at the same time. I'm very pleased with them. To seed a substrate you just need like a cup of springtails and a dozen or so(up to you) adult isopods and they'll spread like wildfire within a month.

I guess the would explain why I have so many... :LOL:

i just have 3 sizes of darkling beetles. Im not moist enough for isopods.

Moist enough...hmm

Lol, but seriously, I might not be either, I mist twice a day and my Cham drinks off the plants or the screens so I don't use a dripper anymore. I actually gave my plants some water yesterday cause it looked a little dry. I wonder how wet is wet enough

A big concern I also have is then escaping..are they things gonna infest my house if they escape?

Moist enough...hmm

Lol, but seriously, I might not be either, I mist twice a day and my Cham drinks off the plants or the screens so I don't use a dripper anymore. I actually gave my plants some water yesterday cause it looked a little dry. I wonder how wet is wet enough

pill bugs or whatever, have "things" that act more like gills vs lungs, so if its too dry...

pill bugs or whatever, have "things" that act more like gills vs lungs, so if its too dry...

An easy work around for this is provide moist areas for them to hide. A couple pieces of cork bark and deep, moistened leaf litter should be enough to keep them happy! More arid species, like Giant Canyons, may also be appropriate. :)

~Amanda

Back
Top Bottom