Cicadas in MARYLAND!

Bush baby

Avid Member
I live in MD, and over the past few weeks there has been an emergence of Cicacdas all over the state. There's especially a large number of them in my backyard and the garden birds have been gorging on them. I don't typically like to feeding wild caught insects to my Jacksons, but i couldn't resist this time around. He seems to love these things.

I gave some to my veiled last year. he smashed them, while doing his happy dance :rolleyes:(y) I would say as long as your not next to a field where pesticides are sprayed, you're pretty safe

I so wish I could breed them in captivity. But there really is no point. Not only would their set up be annoying since they need a live tree to feed off of, but also I think the ones that would be ready most regularly are ready like every 5-8 years.

In my Biology II college class we talked about this year being one with very high number of cicadas because of the weird lifespan and egg laying cycle they have. I believe she said every 7 years there is a huge burst of them than normal. So there will be some stuffed chammy bellies this year. lol

1. Annual: Cicada species with annual life cycles emerge every year, for example, Swamp Cicadas (Neotibicen tibicen) emerge every year in the United States, and Green Grocers (Cyclochila australasiae) emerge every year in Australia.
  2. Periodical: Cicadas species with periodical life cycles emerge all together after long periods of time, for example, Magicicada septendecim will emerge every 17 years (Find out where they'll emerge next).
  3. Proto-periodical: Cicada species with proto-periodical life cycles might emerge every year, but every so many years they emerge in heavy numbers, like the Okanagana

Still feeding them is a pain in the ass since they only eat xylem

Curious about the nutritional value of the newly emerged ones, since these are the ones my cham has been eating…

It would be better likely, because they would have eaten a more recent amount of xylem. But cicadas can't be gutloaded

Back
Top Bottom