Cicadas East Coast 2013

A1forall

Established Member
Hello Everybody!!!!
The Cicadas are going to be emerging soon from their years of underground slumber. If you don't know what EYE am talking about you will soon be HEARing about them (LOL). Has anyone ever used these guys as Cham feeders??
They will be everywhere and in great abundance. What are your thoughts??
Have a great day everyone!!!

They will be everywhere and in great abundance. What are your thoughts??

my thought is you better start getting some boxes, and selling these as feeders - :p ;) ( really, I dont know of you can ship them, I would check on that , but if so, I bet ppl would want some - my chams are to small, or I would be intrested :rolleyes: :) )

It's that time again?!?

I was in middle school last time those ginormous things woke up from their slumber. This should be fun!

It's that time again?!?

I was in middle school last time those ginormous things woke up from their slumber. This should be fun!

They aren't slumbering actually, they are awake and feeding on the roots of trees, and slowly going through their phases of metamorphosis. :eek:

We get the May fly in June- but the 100's of Millions ! but they only live 24 hrs- but they are perfact for my Jackson's - I plan to go "hunting" - they are so thick they sweep them away with brooms off the windows at night !! :eek:

It's that time again?!?

They actually hatch every year... This year is just supposed to be well above average for the hatch...

We get the May fly in June- but the 100's of Millions ! but they only live 24 hrs- but they are perfact for my Jackson's - I plan to go "hunting" - they are so thick they sweep them away with brooms off the windows at night !! :eek:

Im with ya there! I live right by lake St. Clair, they swarm my boat by the millions! The only problem I had feeding them is they just kinda sit there when put into the cage.

I live right by lake St. Clair, they swarm my boat by the millions! The only problem I had feeding them is they just kinda sit there when put into the cage.

hmm...I wonder how we could make them move about ?
I feel for you- those May fly , once they die, STINK when you get thousands of little dead bodies :eek: and they are slippery too- :p

Oh no. Not the yearly ones. I'm talking about the 17 year broods. They appear every 17 years for only about 2 weeks. Pretty interesting stuff.

I would think they would be safe to use for our Panthers, especially the larger males, provided they are gotten from an area you know to be pesticide free.

What you do is, is you throw it at a decent speed into the cage, in a manner the chameleon sees it happen. If they arent interested in it while its still. They should be though, and they generally sort of walk about on the branches and things.

I dont think anyone should be collecting them in mass or anything, dont want to ruin the population. They dont live very long either I dont think, after theyve morphed. Excellent feeder though...

Back
Top Bottom