chromatography to determine D3 in crickets

pamnsam94

Established Member
Is anyone aware of whether the following study was ever conducted and what the results were? Below is the title of an article from the Chameleon Information Network (1993) along with a concluding remark by the author John Annis. High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) was done on commercially bred crickets to determine what levels of preformed vitamin A the crickets contained. Triceros montium developed edema from eating non-dusted crickets, even after the crickets were taken off a diet of fortified chicken mash (containing both preformed vitamin A and D3) for two weeks, suggesting the crickets were capable of storing those vitamins in their tissues for at least that long. After analysis showed that the preformed vitamin A levels in the crickets were very low, D3 became suspect. So the following study was supposed to be conducted. Does anyone know if it was ever done, either by Dr. Anthony W. Norman or someone else?

Hypervitaminosis in Chameleons-Vitamin A is not the whole story!!!

1st quarter, 1993

"The C.I.N. is currently working with Dr. Anthony W. Norman at the University of California-Riverside to determine the levels of vitamin D3 in commercial crickets and in the blood plasma of C. montium when edema is induced by feeding them these crickets (results to be published in future C.I.N. issues)."

Thanks, Perry

Check with Kent67 or with Trace. Kent may have them all, I know trace does.

Thanks Laurie, but I have most issues of the Chameleon Information Network, and I'm pretty sure no followup article was ever in the CiN. I simply want to know whether the study was even done, and if so, where I might find the results. Maybe a similar study was done by someone else. I'm just trying to find out how long crickets are capable of storing D3 in their tissues.

Perry

Perhaps someone on the forums knows/knew Dr. Anthony W. Norman or John Annis and might be able to provide insight on this.

Back
Top Bottom