Choosing a baby Ambilobe blue bar Panther

Deagle50

Hey guys new to the forum. I was hoping I could get some insight on choosing a baby chameleon from a clutch.
Are there any signs on a 4 month old Cham that would indicate what type of colors it will have as an adult? Should I avoid certain things when selecting one? What is the best way to tell if it truly is a pure bred blue bar Ambilobe? What are the best signs of a healthy Panther?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

So the first pic is my red bar ambilobe panther at about 5 months right after I picked him up, the second is him now at just 6 months! I would definitely, understand the personality of your cham when choosing him even though he might be a little grumpy in his teenage phase lol! So if you meet the chams in person definitely look at them, handle them, see how they react and laid back they are! Definitely without a doubt if you get a male you won't be disappointed with their colors, if you get a female they don't have much color in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 455
So the first pic is my red bar ambilobe panther at about 5 months right after I picked him up, the second is him now at just 6 months! I would definitely, understand the personality of your cham when choosing him even though he might be a little grumpy in his teenage phase lol! So if you meet the chams in person definitely look at them, handle them, see how they react and laid back they are! Definitely without a doubt if you get a male you won't be disappointed with their colors, if you get a female they don't have much color in my opinion.
Man Seems like a different Cham haha. So I guess just go with personality traits and then just hope for the best with their colors huh?

Also you can kind of get an idea of the colors your chameleon will have if your breeder has the pictures of the Sire and Dam, people have even said an "ugly" Sire aka the dad can come out to have beautiful offspring. It's all in genetics, and depends how fast of a grower the chameleons are. :) !

Yeah a little bit lol! You will more and likely have a very colorful chameleon, they will begin to get their hints of colors at 4-5 months i would say In my opinion. Here was the dad of my chameleon. And I can tell he is starting to show a bit of a resemblance!

Attachments

• 00s0s_jU6oHgzdILV_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_jU6oHgzdILV_600x450.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 341
They have such a growth spurt though, I mean within weeks it just like pow! And my little guy honestly amazed me, he went from those darker colors to now getting his colors which is just the start, and definitely after a shed is when he obtained them.

Also you can kind of get an idea of the colors your chameleon will have if your breeder has the pictures of the Sire and Dam, people have even said an "ugly" Sire aka the dad can come out to have beautiful offspring. It's all in genetics, and depends how fast of a grower the chameleons are. :) !
These are some photos of the sire. Im not sure what the female looks like though. Please do tell me what you think. also this is a blue bar right? haha

Attachments

• 001.PNG
    001.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 343
  • 002.PNG
    002.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 370
  • 003.PNG
    003.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 344
Yes definitely blue bar!! Absolutely gorgeous sire, you can tell by his of course blue bars that are going vertical all across his body :D He will have some gorgeous babies!:love:

00G0G_k9S9sptDXzp_600x450.jpg
And this is the brother of my cham he is a couple weeks older, but definitely you will have a veryyy colorful male cham from them!

Yes definitely blue bar!! Absolutely gorgeous sire, you can tell by his of course blue bars that are going vertical all across his body :D He will have some gorgeous babies!:love:
Thats good to hear. Im just a bit skeptical of the price tag though. $125 seems very cheap...:cautious:

Oh wow! $125?? Must be a good deal? A little too cheap lol, I paid $200 for mine, is he/she a reputable breeder?
Reputable? not really sure TBH but their instagram feed has plenty of pictures that show their babies and 3 of the sires they have. I feel like im rolling the dice. @Chameleon_Mountain if you wanna check it out and tell me what you think.

Just checked it, they seem good last time they posted was in May. Do you guys have a meet up date and everything? I think IMO everything seems to check out for them, always be safe though when purchasing everything (y)o_O

Just checked it, they seem good last time they posted was in May. Do you guys have a meet up date and everything? I think IMO everything seems to check out for them, always be safe though when purchasing everything (y)o_O
Yea im supposed to go meet the babies and the sire tomorrow. Its local to me so thats good. Not too sure how I feel about shipping live chams just yet haha. I might invest more into the female and order from Screameleons just to make sure I get a really nice female later on down the road.

Yea im supposed to go meet the babies and the sire tomorrow. Its local to me so thats good. Not too sure how I feel about shipping live chams just yet haha. I might invest more into the female and order from Screameleons just to make sure I get a really nice female later on down the road.
Actually I believe screameleons don't sell anymore, I tried when i was looking for a cham and they're page has been shutdown, the site is still there but they are out of business I believe crazy!!:cautious: Yeah I wasn't sure about shipping chameleons either, but I think everything should go well with your future chameleon tomorrow!!:rolleyes:(y)

Actually I believe screameleons don't sell anymore, I tried when i was looking for a cham and they're page has been shutdown, the site is still there but they are out of business I believe crazy!!:cautious: Yeah I wasn't sure about shipping chameleons either, but I think everything should go well with your future chameleon tomorrow!!:rolleyes:(y)
Damn thats a bummer. Thanks for all the help man! Ill post pics of the babies as soon as I can. I probably wont be able to take my little guy home tomorrow though. Too young still but ill have him in a couple months!

Damn thats a bummer. Thanks for all the help man! Ill post pics of the babies as soon as I can. I probably wont be able to take my little guy home tomorrow though. Too young still but ill have him in a couple months!
I know right! I was surprised. But yes of course!! Definitely post pics of the cute lil babies! Good luck with everything keep us updated when you get him:LOL:

Screw color, I would just pick the most active and healthy looking one and also one that shows the least aggression towards you...
In the end the personality of your animal and him being easy to handle and being relaxed in your presence beats having slightly more color (that will change during his lifetime anyways).

Reputable? not really sure TBH but their instagram feed has plenty of pictures that show their babies and 3 of the sires they have. I feel like im rolling the dice. @Chameleon_Mountain if you wanna check it out and tell me what you think.
We purchased a 4 mos old male from them on June 7. I think you'll be impressed if you see his home with his setup! The guy is super friendly, guaranteed happiness, etc. We've been in contact to ask a few questions since and he's been very quick to respond.
We held our baby at his house the day we picked him up, but he was NOT happy after the two hour car ride home! We couldn't get near him. So we talked to the breeder. He gave us some tips and offered to exchange for a younger one if he didn't come around. No way! He has already calmed down, is eating well and part of the family! And his colors are starting to show up.
This is 'Drax' (grandkids named him) at 4 1/2 months. He's not a fan of the camera AT ALL! But, we got to see some red with his little attitude. We also met the sire and got some pics while there.
Good luck, I think you'll be happy!

Attachments

• Drax 4.5 months.jpg
    Drax 4.5 months.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Drax mad.jpg
    Drax mad.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 341
  • Drax' dad.jpg
    Drax' dad.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 335
Back