Chomper's progress

TheLioness

I'd like to make this thread to update how Chomper is doing with his recovery from a sinus infection and swollen eye. This will help other members see how a vet visit is very important to the well being of their chameleon.

Chomper went to the vet today February 5 around 9:45. He was neglected by previous owners who thought his eye was burned by a heat light. Months of infection with no vet visit. He was given medicated eye drops and an oral medicine. Will post what they are later. He had his eyes flushed as well.

I'm attaching 2 photos the previous owner took for a for-sale picture and 3 pictures from today. I can already see a difference and can't wait to see results by next week. Hopefully his recovery helps people who contemplate taking their sick chameleons to the vet.

I am happy to be here and look forward to many conversations and pictures to share as the years go by.

(y):D

Attachments

• IMG_7344.JPG
    IMG_7344.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7345.PNG
    IMG_7345.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 119
  • temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 122
  • temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 142
Chomper today. He got his medicine at around 11 am. I saw him eat one mealworm today. He ate a couple and some crickets the last couple days. Today he mainly basked and went a for a few drinks. Very happy to see us when we come to his cage. He is very friendly with our 3 year old who named him. We try to limit his handling to maybe twice a day so that he recovers.

Question regarding the lines of white shed skin on the side of his belly. Should that come off next shed? I'm not to concerned because it's not around toes and constricting any thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7384.JPG
    IMG_7384.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 84
Thank you! I believe he is starting to feel better. He ate two mealworms so far this morning. Also his green is brighter today. :D

Attachments

• IMG_7387.JPG
    IMG_7387.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 76
I would switch to something other than meal worms to feed him...they don't have hardly any nutrition. Crickets, superworms, silkworms, hornworms etc. Also I hope you are dusting his feeders with calcium. A better diet will help with his recovery. So happy you did the right thing by taking him to the vet. You probably saved his life. Tell your little girl I love the name she gave him...it suits him.(y)

I would switch to something other than meal worms to feed him...they don't have hardly any nutrition. Crickets, superworms, silkworms, hornworms etc. Also I hope you are dusting his feeders with calcium. A better diet will help with his recovery. So happy you did the right thing by taking him to the vet. You probably saved his life. Tell your little girl I love the name she gave him...it suits him.(y)

We have crickets as well and I'm looking for other options too. We have a handful of petstores around the area. So I'm sure we can find more of a variety. Yup sure do have supplements. Got calcium that we dust everytime. Will be buying some calcium with D3 as well.

Thanks but it was my 3 year old son who named him :) He's our only child at the moment, hoping for a girl next. Unfortunately some cervix cancer has changed our plans of having theee, hoping we can have one more. If not I am happy to have my son.

We have crickets as well and I'm looking for other options too. We have a handful of petstores around the area. So I'm sure we can find more of a variety. Yup sure do have supplements. Got calcium that we dust everytime. Will be buying some calcium with D3 as well.

Thanks but it was my 3 year old son who named him :) He's our only child at the moment, hoping for a girl next. Unfortunately some cervix cancer has changed our plans of having theee, hoping we can have one more. If not I am happy to have my son.

Oops...tell your SON it's a great name. I only had one Son...always wanted more it just never happened. Now he has MS so life sucks sometime but we learn to make the best of it. He is 42...he's not a child. I'm a crazy OLD cham lovin lady.:ROFLMAO:

Oops...tell your SON it's a great name. I only had one Son...always wanted more it just never happened. Now he has MS so life sucks sometime but we learn to make the best of it. He is 42...he's not a child. I'm a crazy OLD cham lovin lady.:ROFLMAO:

I'll always have room for my pets. Love my son as well, but I'll go down in history as animal loving girl. I'm 28 and have 19 animals. The smallest is a young armored plated lizard and the largest is either one of the dogs or one of the goats. :LOL:

Some more progress today. I can see more of his left eye and the swelling is going down some. Looks awful still but he's in the mend for sure. He had a nice looking poop today. He ate a couple dusted crickets and super worms. I feed them not meal worms, I always call them meal worms on accident. Of course he got his medicine as well.

We are planning to get a plant to put in his cage for more cover. What do you all recommend. At the time being he has this as his setup. Still in progress.

How's my setup look so far and does anyone have anymore ideas. We are currently thinking of ideas of draining. Thinking about buying a cheap but pretty sink. I've seen some of those ideas on here.

First picture is his bad eye and then his setup. I'll post a picture of his better side later.
(y)

Attachments

• IMG_7477.JPG
    IMG_7477.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7483.JPG
    IMG_7483.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 103
Sorry for a late update. Been busy here at home. I haven't forgotten of course to be taking care of Chomper. He is such a wonderful fiesty guy now that he has full control of his bad eye. He's doing wonderful and I am so happy he had a third chance at a better life.

A day shy of 2 weeks since we started his treatment.

Attachments

• temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 79
  • temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 99
  • temporary.jpg
    temporary.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 106
What's the basking temperature?
What UVB light are you using?
How do you provide water?
What do you feed/gutload insects with?
What do you supplement with and how often?

What's the basking temperature?
What UVB light are you using?
How do you provide water?
What do you feed/gutload insects with?
What do you supplement with and how often?
Basking temp is around 85-90
It's the reptijungle uvb 10? I believe so I can double check here later.
Automatic mister and I can mist twice a day for 5 minutes.
I feed them cut fruits and vegetables
I use calcium, unsure brand. I use it everyday.

Thanks...just checking to see if any changes would help...looks ok though.
Is the calcium phosphorus-free?
I would add a dripper that runs long enough to stimulate him to drink. It can be a deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom that allows one or two drips per second. Use warm water.

Hope all is ok with the cervical cancer!

@Fiona's Mom said..."he has MS so life sucks sometime but we learn to make the best of it. He is 42...he's not a child. I'm a crazy OLD cham lovin lady"...I'm one of those old ladies too! Sorry you son has to deal with MS. It's not easy.

Thanks...just checking to see if any changes would help...looks ok though.
Is the calcium phosphorus-free?
I would add a dripper that runs long enough to stimulate him to drink. It can be a deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom that allows one or two drips per second. Use warm water.

Hope all is ok with the cervical cancer!

@Fiona's Mom said..."he has MS so life sucks sometime but we learn to make the best of it. He is 42...he's not a child. I'm a crazy OLD cham lovin lady"...I'm one of those old ladies too! Sorry you son has to deal with MS. It's not easy.
Thank you @kinyonga

Back
Top Bottom