Chinese Water Dragon care MBD

Hello everyone my friends water dragon has MBD. It is the beginning stages of it and tomorrow im going over her house to help her with her dragon. I got her some gutload for her feeders, calcium without d3, and multivitamins. Tomorrow i will see how it looks and the cage and all that and will see if i can do anything for it now. I wanted to post this and see if anyone on here that had a CWD with MBD how do you get rid of it. Any ideas or methods? Also she is ordering the Reptisun 5.0 linear bulb for her CWD. Thank you so much.

P.S. I know this is a chameleon thread but i know some of you can help me out here.Thank you

I already spoke with her, she sent me a PM, I told her everything she needs to know. multivitamins wouldnt really help to my knowledge since Its a lack of calcium that causes MBD.

If it's still sunny down there, take her outside for several hours when it's nice. Make sure she has an area she can retreat to if she gets too hot.

Also, maybe try Sticky Tongue Farms Mineralll-1, it is low dose vitamin D, and dust with it every second feeding for 2 weeks, then once a week after that for a few months.

Also if your friend is using crickets, gutload them with crushed up eggshells and any leafy green vegetables that are available.

A new UVB bulb would help too, but make sure she gets some sun whenever she can.

Thank you Danny. I didn't realize you were talking to her :O lol whoops.

Brock thank you i will tell her to bring her out a lot. She has a HUGE backyard and we will make sure she doesn't run away Lol. Thanks for the help guys.

What was she housing it in? How long has it been without UVB? How old? Sounds like she needs to go to the Vet to get a calcium boost and proper diagnosis.

It's in a screen cage. I will tell dimensions tomorrow when I see it and I will see what bulb it is. She says it's not a compact but we will see tomorrow. Her dragon has had mbd before an was recovered from a vet. Looks like it is time again

A vet could give the dragon injections of calcium followed by a shot of calcitonin when the blood calcium levels are high enough. This is the quickest way I know of to get things back in balance.

In addition to this, you need to correct husbandry issues that are leading it into MBD.

Exposure to UVB (from a Repti-sun 5.0 long linear tube, for instance) or to direct sunlight (neither of which should pass through glass or plastic will allow the dragon to produce D3 which will allow it to use the calcium in its system.

Appropriate temperatures will aid in good digestion...so it will help with nutrient absorption.

Dusting the insects with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings will help to make up for the often poor ratio of calcium to phos. found in most feeder insects.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene won't build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A will. Excess prEformed vitamin A can interfere with vitamin D3 and push the dragon towards MBD.

I dust twice a month lightly with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can build up in the system so don't overdo it.

Insects should be gutloaded/fed a nutritious diet too. Crickets, superworms, roaches can be fed a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.).

The dragon can be fed those same greens and veggies along with a small amount of fruit (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.).

Calcium, D3, vitamin A and phosphorous are important players in bone health and need to be in balance. To attain a balance you need to look at what you feed your dragon, what you feed the insects and what you supplement with.

Hope this helps!

Hey i hope everything is going well with your dragon, this doesn't have to do with the mbd, but a screan cage doesn't normally keep the high humidity that is needed for them
good luck on his treatment

Back
Top Bottom