chewing - why?

rajon1080

My guy keeps chewing his branches. I cant tell if it’s like a teething thing or if he’s actually trying to eat it or what but it looks like he may have damaged his snout a little doing it aggressively. Weird because he is extremely docile and lazy, even as panthers go I’ve realized ….anyone know why they do this?

Most just do. Let me guess, he is 4-12 months old. No definitive scientific answer yet. But it happens. Freaked me out too. Just make sure he can't chew anything toxic or that could break off and be swallowed.

Young panthers do that, it's normal behavior.

I have not been able to find it mentioned in any book, or paper, but all my young panthers do it.

I have one now that has a favorite nub on a branch he loves to chew on.
It's not a nutrition/ lack of/ thing.

My theory is that it is exactly what you said, teething!
But I think it also helps to develop their jaw mussels as well.

That's just my theory, so until some biologist comes up with some published studies of this (and other) behaviors, it sounds good to me :D

I have one now that has a favorite nub on a branch he loves to chew on.
It's not a nutrition/ lack of/ thing.

Hi, can you provide any information on this? If it is your opinion or something you have found through your own trials. What have you done (Process and elimination/self research) to eliminate this as a possibility?

Hi, can you provide any information on this? If it is your opinion or something you have found through your own trials. What have you done (Process and elimination/self research) to eliminate this as a possibility?

A few things I have seen, not by any means conclusive, or strong evidence.

One, offer leafy greens, they are refused.

Two, substitute the area of branch (they always seem to pick one spot) with something else which is chewable. I used a soft plastic pipette for my veiled (they do it too, funny, never saw a jax do it!!). They would chew on the pipette instead, and I had to replace it often.

Question, could it help develop the same mussels used for the tongue?
Also, are reptile brains developed enough to experience 'boredum' in confinement?
Has this behavior been observed in the wild?

Back
Top Bottom