Chewing branches?

Augustine

I have a new FR for Ricky Bobby and every time he is on it he chews and eats bark/ branches should I stop him or maybe not use the FR?
It's a crab apple tree if that helps
I have a video of him crunching Doritos style on a branch but I can't upload it
Thanks for the help!
Gus

I have crab apple branches in my enclosure and I asked ferritinmyshoes, one of the vets here on the forum about it and she said that as long as he doesn't get a piece that is big enough to cause impaction it should be fine

I have crab apple branches in my enclosure and I asked ferritinmyshoes, one of the vets here on the forum about it and she said that as long as he doesn't get a piece that is big enough to cause impaction it should be fine

Thanks Jupiter! I really like ferritinmyshoes I should have known form the vast knowledge that she was a vet (just from reading)
I took off what I thought would be harmfull or breakable
I would hate to get rid of that crab apple branch it makes such a good Cham jungle gym! And Ricky B loves it but if I keep it I might have to change his name to chomper lol

I had this happen as well.

In a free range, but with cherry tree branches.

I rather assumed the animal was tailoring the branches to his liking.

He did ingest them though.

No noticeable harm ever came of it, and after a month or so it ceased.

Have looked, and not heard many reports of this...

I've noticed a few of mine chewing on the zip ties in their enclosure. I'm pretty sure they are just a bunch of weirdos though :D

Thanks Jupiter! I really like ferritinmyshoes I should have known form the vast knowledge that she was a vet (just from reading)
I took off what I thought would be harmfull or breakable
I would hate to get rid of that crab apple branch it makes such a good Cham jungle gym! And Ricky B loves it but if I keep it I might have to change his name to chomper lol

Yeah she's awesome, she answered a ton of questions through PM for me before I got Aesop. She is also about an hour away from me so I get to have her as my cham doc :D /brag

I know, they are awesome. I also have regular apple branches and they are really nice as well, good and gnarly. When Aesop first arrived I was thinking "so he's had a long trip, I'll just give him a few hours to settle in before offering foo-CHOMP. *I look over* munch munch munch. "...imma give him food now."

Good thread! I have an male panther that chews on his fake vines... I was worried at first, but he's the only one that does it so left it alone. I did keep an eye on him for a few days to see if it would cause an issue, but he is fine. I have never used fake vines before so didn"t know if there was anything dangerous in them, but I guess not. I figure it has something to do with digestion, or diet, or young teeth, etc. He is fine, so he can do his thing. Its not often, just from time to time.

I figure god made these beautiful creatures and they have taken care of themselves all these years, why baby them so much. Really, it seems that people are afraid if a Cham farts wrong! I provide the proper needed things for the Chams, other then that, they will take care of themselves. I am not gonna be an over protective parent. Sorry, not trying to offend anyone...

I have read that they chew as a sign of bored or playing mine do it as well. I also have thought I wonder if it sharpens the jaws

My cham has been doing that with his jungle vines. I got worried as well. Hopefully he is just bored and not hungry...I'm gonna try to clear him out with some hornworms just in case though. If you see a decrease in appetite that's prolly a good idea.

I've never had this issue, as far as I know none of my animals try, and I don't use any real branches aside from manzanita and the jungle vines. Basically what I'm saying is I have no personal experience with bark chewing. I can't see the vines being a problem; even if the coating isn't a degradable product it's still small enough to pass (not that it's great or anything, but it should pass through). As far as bark and vines go, I'd still keep an eye on it. I'm pretty laid back too as far as over-analyzing every little thing with these animals, in fact too much of it and I'd imagine much frustration and anxiety which isn't what keeping chameleons is about! However, we must still remember that what works in the wild doesn't always compare to life in captivity. A chameleon in the wild can chew on as much bark as it wants, but that doesn't mean it's 100% going to live through the process. Sure it'll probably be fine, but there is always that slim chance something goes wrong-such is the way of life.

This very incident happened not too long ago (I want to say 1-2 years).....a post came up on the forum that the OP's panther cham was salivating profusely, then passed away that day or the next. The culprit ended up being a good chunk of bark that got caught in it's throat and choked him. If someone can find the thread (I can't haha), that would be totally appreciated and IMO very appropriate for this subject.

Again, I'm NOT trying to scare you, as again, that's not what keeping ANY animal is about. Just keep these things in mind, and make your own judgement based on what you know. If it happens once in a while, it's probably nothing. If it happens all the time, it's worth paying close attention. In either scenario I would keep an eye on it, and if it becomes a real problem you can always try different wood or branches made of different material.

Wow thanks for all the help guys!
Ill be watching him this weekend and maybe ill give the bark a taste myself maybe its just good stuff
He also has his favourite mist king mister and he is leaving his mark on that lol
I did cut off big chunks and buds that I thought he could get off hopefully he's done but I won't stress it

Back
Top Bottom