Chemical control of Hawaiian jacksons chameleons...

Not sure what to say about dosing wildlife in reserves with non biodegradable pharmaceuticals...... maybe doing a helicopter cropdust spray with DDT or chloridane would be more effective....??

how in the world you do get "most" chameleons in hawaii to take 90 mg of acetaminophen? And only the non native reptiles, aka the jacksons.

Either way that whole article is nightmare fuel, i would caution anyone with any empathy towards a living animal to not read it. I dont even know how the "monsters" who carried out the testings (knowing they are herp folk trying to save native reptiles) could even do it.

If you want the long of the short of it, "herpetologists" force fed snail shells with increasing dosages of acetaminophen to captured jacksons till liver failure occur ed within 48 hours. Then they coated living snails will that dosage, and verified that jacksons would willingly eat the coated snails. At least in Florida they are allowed to "only" bash the skulls of invasive reptiles, but thats an instant kill.

Not sure what to say about dosing wildlife in reserves with non biodegradable pharmaceuticals...... maybe doing a helicopter cropdust spray with DDT or chloridane would be more effective....??

I was gonna say DDT. Mentioned it before here but "Silent Spring" is outdated yet still relevant.

I am not for chemical elimination simply because it is impossible to account for every possible chain effect it would have.

Manual removal is the only option IMHAMNFIO (In My Humble And maybe Not Fully Informed Opinion.

I don't know why they were even looking at the Acetaminophen because the citric acid they were using was already killing off the chameleons anyway from what I was told by someone living there.

This article is dated back to two years ago. I got my baby from the wild, so does that mean they stopped doing this. I understand their threat to snails here but, chams. :confused:

I said that because pumping wild animals full of pharmaceuticals is unrealistic and unethical just as is lethal chemical spraying

This article is dated back to two years ago. I got my baby from the wild, so does that mean they stopped doing this. I understand their threat to snails here but, chams. :confused:
I don't know if they even did it past the testing stage...but they did kill quite a few unintentionally while trying to kill coqui frogs with citric acid...another thing I didn't like them doing.

But I love dem little frogs!

When selling your house, you have to have "frog" stipulations. Its pretty funny. You have to have in writing something about "you will never sleep again thanks to the chirping", you cant play dumb and say the buyer and the frogs moved in at the same time...

Back
Top Bottom