Cheesy Movies

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Believe it or don't, cheesy movies (and aficionados) have been around a lot longer than MST3K.
Sometimes, it's better (IMO) to watch them in their original form; MST & RiffTrax edit them for time.

This got started in another thread when Sonny13's latest build reminded me of the cheesy sets from Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet (1965) (I was joking. 😁 )
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...the-ultimate-build.185998/page-4#post-1726994

A LOT of cheesy B&W movies from the '50s (Golden Era?) can be found on YT, Internet Archive, TCM, Amazon Prime, a few specialty channels on Roku, and others, depending on your tolerance for commercials (I hate 'em).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_films_of_the_1950s

The reason that decade is important is that it followed some early UFO sightings (e.g. The Roswell Incident) and coincided with the Cold War, Red Scare, and Fear of Nuclear War, all of which served as impetuses for many of these movies.

Some are actually not so cheesy, and have won Academy Awards for SFX (changed to "Visual Effects" in the '60s).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Visual_Effects#1950s
Yellow indicates winners.

Wow, that´s an interesting list (y)

Lot´s of those movie I´ve seen somewhere in my life and come on, look at those ´bad ass´ VHS covers alone. Saturdays, after supper, going to the video shop, staring at dozens of those cool covers and trying to choose one, reading the backside summary and rent it for 24h. Nostalgic times, at least for my age.

With 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The War of the Worlds for 50´s and The Guns of Navarone, The Longest Day for 60´s being my Academy Award movies.

As where the modern generation would say, `I can´t watch such crapy movie` , I´m still these movies above movies from this century. In certain way they keep more intrigued to watch and just gives a more real sensation, while it´s more fake looking then current movies.

Interesting topic @Klyde O'Scope (and btw I never get a notification when my name gets mentioned in a topic)

As where the modern generation would say, `I can´t watch such crapy movie` , I´m still these movies above movies from this century. In certain way they keep more intrigued to watch and just gives a more real sensation, while it´s more fake looking then current movies.
"Cheesy" is also relative. When Robocop (1987) came out, it was good enough to get me into a theater. When I see it now (or the whole original trilogy), it's Limburger.

Not what I would call cheesy—and not an award winner—but a classic that IMO still holds up today is the original 1951 B&W version of The Thing from Another World, noteworthy because it was produced (and for all intents and purposes, directed) by Howard Hawks, one of my favorite directors of all time. It was his only (TMK) science fiction film. The later 1982 John Carpenter version got more acclaim, but I still prefer the original.

it's Limburger.
🤣🤣🤣 The State I’m living in, is Limburg and the inhabitants of that state are called ‘Limburgers’. Fun fact 😁😂

When Robocop (1987) came out, it was good enough to get me into a theater.
Do remember it, not from the theater but from broadcasted on tv and have seen it lately again and know what you mean. It’s the same with Terminator 1 & 2. There’re more movies which I prefer the original over the remake.

Back
Top Bottom