Checklist

Jakedn

Could someone write me up a quick checklist of what I need to buy before getting a baby veiled chameleon, I want to make sure I have everything I need before I buy one. I've saved up a little over 200 hundred dollars. Thanks in advance.

buy supplies
-buy a cage
-buy light fixtures
-buy bulbs UVB and a house light bulb is ok

buy decorations
-buy some fake vines.
-buy live plants such as pothos or ficus.

buy supplements
-buy calcium with and without D3.
-buy multi-vitamin

-others
-buy hand mist pump
-buy water dripper
-buy containers to put in your feeder
-buy gutloads or water crystals (this is to give to your feeders)
-buy feeders for exp. crickets & silkworms.

-most important buy a book first and it will tell you what you need to raise a chameleon!!!
-read more if your still asking questions what to buy before getting a chameleon.

Could someone write me up a quick checklist of what I need to buy before getting a baby veiled chameleon, I want to make sure I have everything I need before I buy one. I've saved up a little over 200 hundred dollars. Thanks in advance.

Owning a chameleon is a long term investment when it comes to cost. $200 may get you up and running, but your going to need more money for feeders, continous food for your feeders, supplements when they run out, replacement lights when they burn out, and vet visits that can potentially cost over $100 each.

Consider going to the Super Show this weekend in SD. Gas would probably cost you less than to get everything sent to you in the mail.

buy supplies
-buy a cage
-buy light fixtures
-buy bulbs UVB and a house light bulb is ok

buy decorations
-buy some fake vines.
-buy live plants such as pothos or ficus.

buy supplements
-buy calcium with and without D3.
-buy multi-vitamin

-others
-buy hand mist pump
-buy water dripper
-buy containers to put in your feeder
-buy gutloads or water crystals (this is to give to your feeders)
-buy feeders for exp. crickets & silkworms.

-most important buy a book first and it will tell you what you need to raise a chameleon!!!
-read more if your still asking questions what to buy before getting a chameleon.

Thanks for the list, just wanted to make sure I buy everything that is needed. I've done hours upon hours of research and plan to breed the feeders, I'm not rushing into this I'm going to buy everything I need set it up and then look for the right chameleon for me.

Owning a chameleon is a long term investment when it comes to cost. $200 may get you up and running, but your going to need more money for feeders, continous food for your feeders, supplements when they run out, replacement lights when they burn out, and vet visits that can potentially cost over $100 each.

Thank you for your concern, but I know of the costs of raising a chameleon and I know that 200$ will just barely get me started, in fact I'll probably end up spending the 200$ on getting supplies alone without feeders nor the chameleon to feed. This is just what I have saved up in half a month doing chores and helping out my parents friends to make some money whenever I can. I just wanted someone with experience to write me up a quick list of what is needed so that I don't accidentally forget something and have to pay even more on shipping.

Consider going to the Super Show this weekend in SD. Gas would probably cost you less than to get everything sent to you in the mail.

I would probably do that if I could drive but since I am only 15, I would have to use up somebody elses time to drive me there and not just my own, so it seems the best choice for me is to just pay a little extra for the shipping.

Anybody know of a highly recommended hygrometer and a thermometer I should use for getting an accurate reading of temperature and humidity levels?

Jake

A little creative thinking will help you out with some items on your list. You can do a Search mode and get some ideas from this forum. You can build your own cage, you don't have to go to Petco and get a dripper, but make one instead. You can buy some items from Home Depot instead of Zoo Med (hydor/ temp meter)

Not sure where you live, but there is always Craigslist to help you with some items.

If there is anyone else on the forum that lives nearby perhaps you can go in on a buy and save on shipping (bugs,supplies, etc).

Have you priced out a reptile vet in your area? Hopefully your folks support your pet choice.

:cool:

A little creative thinking will help you out with some items on your list. You can do a Search mode and get some ideas from this forum. You can build your own cage, you don't have to go to Petco and get a dripper, but make one instead. You can buy some items from Home Depot instead of Zoo Med (hydor/ temp meter)

As far as drippers go, any plastic container with a small hole poked in it, becomes a dripper

and yes home depot has some great finds for us chameleon owners. Light fixtures among others...

Jake

Not sure where you live, but there is always Craigslist to help you with some items.

If there is anyone else on the forum that lives nearby perhaps you can go in on a buy and save on shipping (bugs,supplies, etc).

Have you priced out a reptile vet in your area? Hopefully your folks support your pet choice.

:cool:

Thank you AJA, I live near Los Angeles so, I'm sure there are people near me I could buy stuff from. And yes, my family supports the decision and would no doubt help pay for anything if an emergency ever came up to take him to a vet. I wouldn't even consider getting one if I didn't know that I could for sure pay for everything he could need. Also, I plan to build him his adult cage, but am going to buy his baby cage. I already have the design drawn out. I just want to make sure I buy all the right stuff and get everything done right the first time around. So are you saying that any normal thermometer and hygrometer should work with good enough accuracy, I just would like to know that I'm getting something that I know will give me accurate readings and I don't always trust what I read on the box.

Jake you are super lucky to be living in Southern Cal. There is a group of Chameleon Caretakers that meet monthly all over the area. Do a search on Dave Weldon and see if you can find out where and when the next meeting will be at.

There is also a show in San Diego this weekend that some of the forum members will be attending as well (Watch our for Ryan, I hear he likes socks...:confused:) There are a couple of threads on this subject.

Yes, Home Depot/McClendon/ Lowes are your friends. Get a digital therm/hydro and not those stupid round,cheap dial ones. The one I have has an inside/outside reading so I can get a basking reading and a general area reading, and I think it was $14.

You can go to some website that sell package deals on cage and accessories and do some comparative shopping that way as well. There is even a thread on a DIY misting system when you graduate from a hand held mister (atomizer) A nice one at HD is about $4..yes there are cheaper ones, but they will soon break or don't hold enough water.

Jake you are super lucky to be living in Southern Cal. There is a group of Chameleon Caretakers that meet monthly all over the area. Do a search on Dave Weldon and see if you can find out where and when the next meeting will be at.

There is also a show in San Diego this weekend that some of the forum members will be attending as well (Watch our for Ryan, I hear he likes socks...:confused:) There are a couple of threads on this subject.

Yes, Home Depot/McClendon/ Lowes are your friends. Get a digital therm/hydro and not those stupid round,cheap dial ones. The one I have has an inside/outside reading so I can get a basking reading and a general area reading, and I think it was $14.

You can go to some website that sell package deals on cage and accessories and do some comparative shopping that way as well. There is even a thread on a DIY misting system when you graduate from a hand held mister (atomizer) A nice one at HD is about $4..yes there are cheaper ones, but they will soon break or don't hold enough water.

Alright sounds good, I'm going to see if my mom would be fine with driving me down there to buy some stuff and save some money, hopefully she says yes. I've been considering buying one of the complete sets from FL chams and shop around for the rest of the stuff. Also, I am going to save up for a MistKing misting system as soon as I can because I have a tendency to sleep in late so, I hope to have everything on timers before getting the chameleon or I may have to start going to sleep earlier haha. Well, thanks a ton AJA, some rep points are heading your way :D!

where in LA are you, there a couple stores you may be able have yr parents drive you. if you can maybe la harbra pets or even strickly reptiles. again these are for complete set ups not the animal its self. stick with the site sponsers for yr new chameleon. good luck

where in LA are you, there a couple stores you may be able have yr parents drive you. if you can maybe la harbra pets or even strickly reptiles. again these are for complete set ups not the animal its self. stick with the site sponsers for yr new chameleon. good luck

Thank you, replied to your PM.

Back
Top Bottom