Charlie Update: Help on cleaning cage

charlie2022

Hi everyone! I just had a couple of questions. So Charlie seems to still be a little shy (I trust takes time), but I need to clean his cage because I want to take the carpet I have on the bottom out (I heard it's not good to have in there). I was wondering if I can move things around and clean it while he's in there or if I should wait? I don't want to stress the little guy out too much. Also, yesterday morning I think he uranated, because it was white and clear gooey stuff came out right after the soft white looking thing. If anyone can help with some advice on cleaning his cage and tell me if the soft white thing is healthy, please let me know :)

The general rule is dont stick your hand in the cage if you dont really have to. Its "their room". If you want to clean the cage of a shy cham, its best to rig up a "stick ride" and place them somewhere else such as a house plant.

And yes the chameleon just "peed". Brown is poop, white is pee. If its really white and really soft gooey, that just means really hydrated. It gets really runny after feeding caterpillars, since they are just bags of water with a calcium/protein shell.

The general rule is dont stick your hand in the cage if you dont really have to. Its "their room". If you want to clean the cage of a shy cham, its best to rig up a "stick ride" and place them somewhere else such as a house plant.

And yes the chameleon just "peed". Brown is poop, white is pee. If its really white and really soft gooey, that just means really hydrated. It gets really runny after feeding caterpillars, since they are just bags of water with a calcium/protein shell.
Thank you! I tried the "stick ride" but he's not getting on, so I'm going to let him be for a while and try again!

You can try the hand behind and hand in front method. Use the hand behind to guide him up on the hand in front. Have a box with a stick shoved through the bottom about an inch from the bottom. Poke a few small air holes up higher in the box. Have this box right next to you so you can go from cage straight down into the box. This is important with chams that are not used to being handled. Young chams will jump as well so keep this in mind.

Hand in front and hand behind to guide him up onto the other hand. Once he is on the hand use the other hand to block him from jumping. then out of the cage straight down into the box. let him crawl off your hand onto the branch in the bottom. Then close up the box. Make sure baby is down at the bottom when you do this. Do not use tape to close anywhere where the inside of the box is exposed. You do not want any potential for the cham to get stuck to the tape. Closing the box up and then setting a pillow or something lightweight on top to keep it closed is a better option.

Sometimes you have to work around them. If he is up basking and you are able to pull the carpet out then do that.

UPDATE: Charlie came out on the stick and walked straight to my hand :) I was able to clean his cage and remove the carpet! Although he didn't eat his hornworm it was a success. Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• 07F014C2-FD70-4970-B5B0-BA6A5FDBA645.png
    07F014C2-FD70-4970-B5B0-BA6A5FDBA645.png
    551.4 KB · Views: 62
  • tempImage6jDdZ0.png
    tempImage6jDdZ0.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
FYI that hornworm is going to be a lot for him to take down. Also very high risk of the cham being bitten when you feed large hornworms like that. I would stick to nothing longer than an inch and a half.

FYI that hornworm is going to be a lot for him to take down. Also very high risk of the cham being bitten when you feed large hornworms like that. I would stick to nothing longer than an inch and a half.
Got it! That makes sense. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom