Change in mood, appitite? not eating ..help!

kelsxox

around 8 month old, female vielded

Okay so lately alexa hasn't been herself at all lately, and weird things keeps happening with her either she gets constipated and dosn't poop everyday like she normally does, or she dosn't seem interrested in her crickets at all , before she used to go after them as soon as i'd close the screen door and go wild. For those of you who havn't seen my other threads, She has/had MBD, i was dosing her with TREX bone aid liquid calcium for about 2 weeks then she started getting supper cranky and wouldn't let me take her out of her cage to give it to her.. She got the MBD from the petstore, i have the right setup.. lately i also don't see her drinking, however she's always a supper bright lime green color lately. Unless i try and take her out and she gives me attitude.. I thaught maybe she was maturing and was gonna lay eggs so i put a shallow container with moist sand at the bottom of her cage and got her a bigger laying bin for outside of her container.. but she hasn't scratched at it at all so i don't think thats the case.. anyone got any ideas??

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Vielded, female, around 8 months old. About 2 and a half months
• Handling - Never lately cause she hisses and puffs up and gets stressed.
• Feeding - Crickets about 5 medium sized a day at around 12 lunch time. I gave her a mealworm a day about a week and a half ago as a treat and to switch it up a bit, and then it seemed she got fussy.. I gutload my crickets with carrots, red bell pepper, just got some collards heard there good for gutloading? & i got a lil sponge with water in there for them.
• Supplements -
Exo terra Calcium low phosphorus - everyday
Exo terra Calcium + d3 , no phosphorus - twice a month.
Exo terra Multi Vitamine, with beta carotene - twice a month.
T Rex Bone Aid Liquid Calcium- couple drops when i CAN get her out of her cage.
• Watering - I've got a homeade driper, that kinda sucks. I'm hoping to order a "Big Dripper" , I mist about 3-5 times a day sometimes more, sometimes with warm water to bring up the humidity. Do you see your chameleon drinking? noo
• Fecal Description - I havn't seen her poop in about 2 days.. her last poop was kinda big and dark brown. with urinate that looked almost sandy? with white goey gross stuff.
• History - My cham is in the process of recovering from MBD that she got from the pet store she was at & i wasn't aware of it when i bought her but decided to try an help herr get over it.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - LARGE Repti Breeze
• Lighting -18'' 15 watt Reptisun 5.0 tube, 18'' 15 watt Nature Sun tube (for extra light), 50 watt basking bulb. schedule - 9 am to 9 pm.
• Temperature - Around 80 or a lil higher in basking area, around 70 the rest of the cage and about 60 at night.. I measure my temps with a zoomed DIGITAL thermoniter.
• Humidity - I'm not sure about my humidity levels i havn't found something to detect humidity that is digital... To keep up himidity i got plastic wrap on 2 sides of the cage and i sometimes mist with warm water
• Plants - One real plant - neanthe palm bella...
• Placement - In my bedroom on a dresser (for now, about 3 feet off the ground) at what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 6 feet.
• Location - Timmmins ontario
full

Last edited by a moderator:
around 8 month old, female vielded

Okay so lately alexa hasn't been herself at all lately, and weird things keeps happening with her either she gets constipated and dosn't poop everyday like she normally does, or she dosn't seem interrested in her crickets at all , before she used to go after them as soon as i'd close the screen door and go wild. For those of you who havn't seen my other threads, She has/had MBD, i was dosing her with TREX bone aid liquid calcium for about 2 weeks then she started getting supper cranky and wouldn't let me take her out of her cage to give it to her.. She got the MBD from the petstore, i have the right setup.. lately i also don't see her drinking, however she's always a supper bright lime green color lately. Unless i try and take her out and she gives me attitude.. I thaught maybe she was maturing and was gonna lay eggs so i put a shallow container with moist sand at the bottom of her cage and got her a bigger laying bin for outside of her container.. but she hasn't scratched at it at all so i don't think thats the case.. anyone got any ideas??

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Vielded, female, around 8 months old. About 2 and a half months
• Handling - Never lately cause she hisses and puffs up and gets stressed.
• Feeding - Crickets about 5 medium sized a day at around 12 lunch time. I gave her a mealworm a day about a week and a half ago as a treat and to switch it up a bit, and then it seemed she got fussy.. I gutload my crickets with carrots, red bell pepper, just got some collards heard there good for gutloading? & i got a lil sponge with water in there for them.
• Supplements -
Exo terra Calcium low phosphorus - everyday
Exo terra Calcium + d3 , no phosphorus - twice a month.
Exo terra Multi Vitamine, with beta carotene - twice a month.
T Rex Bone Aid Liquid Calcium- couple drops when i CAN get her out of her cage.
• Watering - I've got a homeade driper, that kinda sucks. I'm hoping to order a "Big Dripper" , I mist about 3-5 times a day sometimes more, sometimes with warm water to bring up the humidity. Do you see your chameleon drinking? noo
• Fecal Description - I havn't seen her poop in about 2 days.. her last poop was kinda big and dark brown. with urinate that looked almost sandy? with white goey gross stuff.
• History - My cham is in the process of recovering from MBD that she got from the pet store she was at & i wasn't aware of it when i bought her but decided to try an help herr get over it.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - LARGE Repti Breeze
• Lighting -18'' 15 watt Reptisun 5.0 tube, 18'' 15 watt Nature Sun tube (for extra light), 50 watt basking bulb. schedule - 9 am to 9 pm.
• Temperature - Around 80 or a lil higher in basking area, around 70 the rest of the cage and about 60 at night.. I measure my temps with a zoomed DIGITAL thermoniter.
• Humidity - I'm not sure about my humidity levels i havn't found something to detect humidity that is digital... To keep up himidity i got plastic wrap on 2 sides of the cage and i sometimes mist with warm water
• Plants - One real plant - neanthe palm bella...
• Placement - In my bedroom on a dresser (for now, about 3 feet off the ground) at what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 6 feet.
• Location - Timmmins ontario
full
Yeah I don't think she's eggbound either because if she's super bright lime green and not showing mature colors then that's probably not the case, but good idea putting the egg laying bin in with her just in case. As far as a change in appetite she may be on a hunger strike. Do you feed her anything else other than crickets or a mealworm for a treat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some info on gutloading:
Gutloading is the process of working through the food chain to feed the prey animals the nutrition that your insectivore pet needs to replicate what they would eat in nature. Crickets are basically just water and chitin (not very nutritious or digestible) and the pet stores only feed them cardboard, or potato at most, so feeding crickets directly after you get them from the pet store or vendor is not providing much in the way of nutrition to your pet. Supplementing with a calcium and/or multivitamin powder is important, but not sufficient alone for proper nutrition in any species. Gut loading can't be done in all feeders but is very easy in crickets and super worms - two common feeder bugs.

How do you chose what to use? Gutloading ingredients should be chosen that are higher in calcium than phosphorus. High phosphorus levels in the food impedes calcium absorption. Inadequate dietary calcium leads to metabolic bone disease. Commercially available gutloads (such as Fluker Farms Cricket Food) are not balanced or sufficient for good nutrition in any species. Ideally there should be a wet and dry component to your gut load:

Good Wet Gutloading Ingredients: dandelion leaves, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, escarole lettuce, butternut squash, carrots, mango, alfalfa sprouts, oranges, blueberries, raspberries, sweet potato, strawberries, hibiscus leaves and flowers, papaya

Good Dry Gutload Ingredients: bee pollen, alfalfa powder, kelp powder, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, raw uncooked sunflower seeds, raw uncooked pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, small amounts of whole grain cereals, spirulina algae, tortoise pellets

Foods to AVOID: Broccoli, spinach, beets, and parsley, have large amounts of oxalic acids which bind calcium absorption. Lettuces and cabbage do not have any significant nutritional value. Also, avoid things like dog food, cat food, and fish flakes which are high in animal proteins which can cause kidney damage. Feeding such things like pinky-mice, fuzzies, and feeder anoles that are extremely high in fat and protein content is harmful to your chameleon's health, bones and organs that can lead to serious illnesses like gout, edema, organ failure and fatality.

This site has nutritional info on many commonly available fruits and veggies to help guide you in choosing good gut loading ingredients: http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

Carrots and red bell peppers are not good for gutloading, especially by themselves. Collards are good so you're on the right track!

I'm worried that her legs don't look very straight. Good gutloading is essential for treatment of MBD in addition to supplementation and proper UVB. You don't want it to progress at all so get those collards in there! ;)

Yeah I don't think she's eggbound either because if she's super bright lime green and not showing mature colors then that's probably not the case, but good idea putting the egg laying bin in with her just in case. As far as a change in appetite she may be on a hunger strike. Do you feed her anything else other than crickets or a mealworm for a treat?
i've given her blueberrys but those always seem to get her stuffed up , and not poop for a couple days so i quit giving her those.. other than that nope

i've given her blueberrys but those always seem to get her stuffed up , and not poop for a couple days so i quit giving her those.. other than that nope
I would try to get her some Silworms to mix up her diet a little bit. And maybe Hornworms too if she has any size to her. What's her snout to vent length?

Are you still treating her for the MBD? It sort of sounds like you gave up the TRex. She might not be eggbound at this point, but she might be making eggs and that sucks up calcium. If you aren't giving her enough her system will take from her bones to create the eggs.

i've been trying everytime i can actually get her out of her cage i give her, but other than that she tried to bite my frigen fingers lol

Omg so i went and checked on her this morning when i went upstairs, and she was at the bottom of her cage on the ground! Didn't look like she fell but it could be a possibility because she was very weak when i picked her up and had like no grip!! i don't understand because she didn't seem like this in the morning:( thaught she was starting to get better! So i brought her downstairs put a lil plant in the bathtub, put the showerhead against the wall and brought up alot of humidity and warmed her up for about 15 minutes.. then i wrapped her up in a facecloth and dried her off and put her in the cage with the faceclothe right under her basking light incase she cant hold herself up on a tree.. She looked really bad cause she was just laying on me .. i cave her TREX bone aid liquid calcium before i put her in the shower! she's not eating so what should i doo? :(

I Also cleaned the cricket cage and put Collards , orange slices, and a carrot in there.. (only thinsg i had in my fridge that Farrotinmyshoes list was on)

Omg so i went and checked on her this morning when i went upstairs, and she was at the bottom of her cage on the ground! Didn't look like she fell but it could be a possibility because she was very weak when i picked her up and had like no grip!! i don't understand because she didn't seem like this in the morning:( thaught she was starting to get better! So i brought her downstairs put a lil plant in the bathtub, put the showerhead against the wall and brought up alot of humidity and warmed her up for about 15 minutes.. then i wrapped her up in a facecloth and dried her off and put her in the cage with the faceclothe right under her basking light incase she cant hold herself up on a tree.. She looked really bad cause she was just laying on me .. i cave her TREX bone aid liquid calcium before i put her in the shower! she's not eating so what should i doo? :(

I Also cleaned the cricket cage and put Collards , orange slices, and a carrot in there.. (only thinsg i had in my fridge that Farrotinmyshoes list was on)
:( I'm sorry. Maybe you should get her checked out by a Vet. Unless someone on here has some better advice.

Theres no vets around here ive allready tried calling !
How old is she? And it would probably be a good idea to add more variety to her diet. If you can get some Silkworms and Hornworms...those should make her start eating if she's on a hunger strike. When's the last time she ate?

It really does sound like she needs a vet. A vet can jump start the calcium process in ways a dietary supplement cannot. If you don't have a vet with reptile experience, check to see if there is one with bird experience. Also, ask if the vet would be willing to consult with an experienced reptile vet to treat your animal.

Shes about 8 months , the pet store didnt exactly give me a specific date .. I think she might be maturing , im noticing blue tinges to some areas on her like her casque and sometimes the size of her body , there not exactly apots but you can see them .. Ivr been keeping an eye on her all day and im gonna give her another shiwer today

Shes about 8 months , the pet store didnt exactly give me a specific date .. I think she might be maturing , im noticing blue tinges to some areas on her like her casque and sometimes the size of her body , there not exactly apots but you can see them .. Ivr been keeping an eye on her all day and im gonna give her another shiwer today
Well it sounds like you're doing just about everything right.
Seems like she may be eggbound, so just make sure you
have a large laying bin for her, and also try to mix up her
diet as well with some new feeders. Good luck with her :)

she can't move at all right now? What are symptoms of being eggbound? there a small container with moist sand in her laying bin but she never dugg at itt,,she has not eaten in about 2 maybe 3 days, should i hand feed herr?... i'm gonna give her another shower.

she can't move at all right now? What are symptoms of being eggbound? there a small container with moist sand in her laying bin but she never dugg at itt,,she has not eaten in about 2 maybe 3 days, should i hand feed herr?... i'm gonna give her another shower.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had practice, I don't really know of the symptons of an eggbound Veiled. See I have a male and never really looked into the females so I don't have any experience with that sort of thing. So really the best I got for you is trying to change up her diet with some different feeders, like silkworms, hornworms, or roaches to try to entice her to eat. Leave the laying bin in there because she may use it soon; have you noticed her getting kinda "plump" lately, or seen any little bumps all over her belly? And as far as her not moving I have know idea on this. I think I have heard of eggbound female Veileds becoming more stationary and not being as active as they normally would but I don't know for sure. I hope this helps, and I hope your little girl is gonna be ok :).

Back
Top Bottom